Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KU 5200 load handling

Default Re: KU 5200 load handling

Widowshooter,

I think the hanging bag idea is a good one. Any sharpness on PVC shifting around in there can wear, and more importantly, the hanging bag will allow you to adjust the height of your pills and get your weight transferred to the frame better if you do it right. A compression strap (or a few) around them will also stabilize, and you could incorporate them into using them instead of the meat bag while providing vertical adjustment. I think you're on the right track...

p.s. I like your handle, have done something like that once myself. Watched a nice 9-point circling a doe during rifle season in Missouri, after their 'magic' I was able to pop him, then her. :-) No remorse, they had their last 'meal', and made many for me & mine...
    Forgive those who aren't sorry, accept apologies never received....

I was thinking about the wear and tear on my KU as well. I have about six compression straps for the KU packs I own and I plan on incorporating them as well. I also want to integrate the cargo chair I have. I have carried one of kids in it, but that is all. Right now the cargo chair is in my pack, on the opposite side of the frame and the sand bag to "stabilize" the load a bit better. I carried the load of 50lbs in a sandbag this morning in this configuration, on top of a extra large pullout with my homemade superwoobie and another extral large pullout with my camp clothes in it. It kept the sandbag from sagging and the cargo chair framed the sandbag on one side with the frame on the opposite side. It was only a couple of miles, but it rode 10x better than yesterday.

So I completely redid my load out for today's hike, and used my KU 5200 instead of the 3700 like I usually do. It was much easier to carry 75lbs in the 5200, than 50lbs in the 3700. (At least to me.) The load rode well, but it was a bit sloppy, so when I got home I decided to integrate the cargo chair like I wanted. I hook the chair to the pack, but I used the set of loops closest to the frame on the bottom outside of the KU 5200, so the pack actually rested on the cargo chair. I then loaded the pack with a 50lb sandbag, centered in the bottom against the frame. I put an XL pullout with my superwoobie in front of the sandbag. Then I tightened the bottom straps to secure it all. Once that was complete, I put the 25lb sandbag above that and my second XL pullout with all my early season clothes. Again, I tightened the top straps to stabilize the load. I used a lash strap to stabilize the load horizontally between the pack's two horizontal straps. Lastly, I pulled the lid over and strapped it down. Plenty of room to allow for more, but reality has to checked so I don't overload myself.

I made a video on my iPhone, but I fortunately I can't seem to upload it. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by widowshooter; 08-17-2014 at 12:53 PM.