Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KU 5200 load handling

Default Re: KU 5200 load handling

Maybe I'm not looking right but a lot of the bags under the hunting section are listed as bag only

sdnative13,

The "bags only' fit onto our Duplex Frames. Since the Frames can be used alone, and since they can also accept several different bags, it makes sense to sell the bags separately...alone if you will. Many men buy a Duplex Frame alone intitially, then come back later and purchase a bag for it. Or two bags over a period of time. Got it?

I get that. I was just looking at it from a cost and weight point of view. I saw some other bags I liked but when having to buy the two systems separate I am finding it to be more expensive and heavier.

How are you guys keeping the bottom of the KU pack from sagging? I loaded mine this morning with a 50lb sandbag and some blankets and it sagged about three inches below the waistbelt. Am I doing something wrong?

widowshooter:

I use rice for my training hikes, and I put the bagged rice inside the original hanging meat bag. Works very well!

Regards,
    Scott

I built a PVC pipe ladder with clean out plugs at the top & filled it with sand. I've got a duplex frame that it fits on nicely with a military cargo panel & water, it weighs 55 lbs. It's most comfortable if the bottom sits at the top of the waist belt. I've added a 25 lb plate to that, but doing stairs at red rocks, my heart rate was quickly hitting 170+, after an hour, I was done. At 55 lbs, I can go all day adding a rifle & my Koala with a pistol & fishing tackle.

I think whatever 'pill' you come up with, the more fiddling you do with it, the more comfortable you'll be when it matters. In my Mollex, I've used 2 lock & Load #10s to hold 2 25 lb plates up high & cinched the compression straps to support those. Compression keeping your 'pill' up high, & tweaking for comfort is key...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Let's point out a difference between most ku3700's & a ku5200 - the waist belt is a heavier duty belt on the 5200 unless the ku3700 has been upgraded. There will be more comfort with the heavier duty belt. I have hauled some relatively heavy loads with my ku3700, but there becomes a point where the comfort level goes down. For me that is about 60lbs. I recently purchased a 5200, but haven't had the chance to haul a heavy load with it yet. For elk, I always bone them out and use the kifaru lightweight meat bags and/or the hanging meat bag inside the pack. If you want to keep your pack clean, a garbage bag as mentioned above is the way to go. They are lightweight and can be used for other chores and therefore are not bad to have along. If I am packing deer with the bone in I use the larger cloth meat bags inside a garbage bag. Also, in the above photos with the sheep notice the "grab it" helping support the load.

Thanks for the info guys. I re-packed it yesterday and noticed that the higher I got the weight the better it rode. Getting it higher was a chore, but the hanging meat bag is a great idea, I will definitely have to look into that. I also have a KU 5200, but haven't used it for too much yet, I use my KU 3700 for just about everything. I like the PVC idea, I may also have to build one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by widowshooter View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I re-packed it yesterday and noticed that the higher I got the weight the better it rode. Getting it higher was a chore, but the hanging meat bag is a great idea, I will definitely have to look into that. I also have a KU 5200, but haven't used it for too much yet, I use my KU 3700 for just about everything. I like the PVC idea, I may also have to build one of those.
    With your packs, instead of the ladder frame, I'd recommend just doing tubes with a cap on one end and a cleanout on the other. 3 of those that are about 20-25lbs should fit just fine in the 3700, and you can dump sand or add water to tweak the weight. The ladder does help with lashing to the frame a bit, but you've got bags to do that, and the width of the ladder may make it clumsy to fit.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Rob,

I was looking at PVC last night and thought that a couple to three singles would do much better than a "ladder". I like the cleanout on one end to enable the adjusting of more or less weight easier. I am also thinking about getting a hanging meat bag to put everything in as well. Thoughts?