Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammocks

Default Re: Hammocks

A heated hammock shelter is a fool's errand. It has been attempted with marginal success at considerable expense for a few folks. THE hammock tarp is the OES Macat. I have on in Spinnaker that is my go to hammock tarp. Need a bit more wind break? Order a "beak"/endcap from Two Questions. My JRB Sierra Sniveler 900fill is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    A heated hammock shelter is a fool's errand. It has been attempted with marginal success at considerable expense for a few folks. THE hammock tarp is the OES Macat. I have on in Spinnaker that is my go to hammock tarp. Need a bit more wind break? Order a "beak"/endcap from Two Questions. My JRB Sierra Sniveler 900fill is awesome.
    Ordinarily I would agree. I am exploring my state, trying to find areas where I can hunt deer and elk. The trick seems to be drawing a tag, and then finding animals. Last year, all four of my elk choices fell through, and for the last two years running my third choice deer hunt was the one I drew. Forth choice hunts are all depredation hunts, and you pick a quadrant of the state, and if herds need to be thinned, you get a phone call. Going down south I can get mesquite covered desert plains, where the trees aren't large enough to support a hammock, or rocky mountains with little brush, and forrests. Going north I get forrested mountains, grassy plains, and above the timberline stuff. I would like to be multi-tasking enough in my gear to have a hunting bag packed, and be ready to hammock camp, or sleep on the ground. It will cost me weight and cash. Hunts can be September through January, depending on which one gets drawn. So temps can be sunny mid 70s to freezing during the day. Last season had a cold snap where temps were 10-15 degrees below normal. I also agree with you that it isn't wise to plan hammock camping more than about five degrees below freezing. My rig went to 19 degrees last year, and while it is good to know what it is capable of, it was a little too close to the absolute limits for comfort.

Spinn is getting harder to find, and mostly available 2nd hand. Cuben is light, loud, and expensive. K-tarps are heavy, and expensive. Tarps designed to be used on the ground may or may not be adequite hammock tarps, and hammock tarps may or may not be adequite on the ground. The big decision is which compromise will be best in the long term. Pics on Rokslide lead me to believe the megatarp may funtion as I want it to, and looking at the cuben stuff, it seems reasonable that the same things can be done.

pat
    Last edited by Pat K; 03-07-2013 at 10:46 PM.

Alright, THREAD RESURECTION!

It seems that I started this thread then totally forgot about it for, well forever, and I do apologize for that.

So while I do agree that hammocks may not be in the direct area kifaru works in now, you never know what they'll dabble in in the future.

While I agree that none of the tarps try offer now are a specific match to dual use with a hammock, I think that if you take the Megatarp design, and make it long enough to cover the edges of the hammock, then you'd have a excellent dual use hammock/lightweight shelter.

There a guy over on hammock forums who made a DIY hammock tarp which caught my eye because it looked remarkably similar to a Megatarp, but without the interior pole slots. I'll find the link but this could be pretty close to what I was thinking in terms of tarps

W

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
    I highly doubt kifaru will make a hammock, but I bet they could make some money making a 0 Degree version of a doobie as an underquilt, for sure. As it is now, im about to buy a clark nx-250, and I will probably use a doobie ( 20F ) as an underquilt, in conjunction with a thermarest ridgerest SOLite and either another woobie/doobie as a top quilt, or i might just try seeing how it goes using my slickbag as a topquilt with it unzipped.
    Worth every penny! NX 250 w/ Mego Ogee tarp and Whoopie sling. 4 season perfection.
    Do it.

URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/IMGP4344_zps123b58a9.jpg.html][/URL]

Yep, it's under there.

Quote Originally Posted by wade123 View Post
    Ive been researching and deciding on light weight shelters and am really liking the tarps that Kifaru sells. One of the
    options i've come across and am kind fond of is the hammock option, which I have come to the conclusion is that one of the tarps
    would be a great option with a hammock on excursions.

So, to the point, I submit that Kifaru should come up with a lightweight hammock in their shelter line, anyone else concur?
    There are already a vast number of UL style hammocks on the market, as well as heavier, 4 season options to meet any want/need. Hammocktalk is overly moderated however, the info is good and the opportunity to buy used stuff there is tremendous. You can even make a UL hammock cheap if you choose to...would take one day.

Name:  hammock shelter.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  48.0 KB

fools errand? Here is my shelter made by smokehouse, with my hennessy hammock and kifaru small stove inside, plus room for my buddy to sleep on the ground. All at 2 lbs 3oz. It rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    Name:  hammock shelter.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  48.0 KB

fools errand? Here is my shelter made by smokehouse, with my hennessy hammock and kifaru small stove inside, plus room for my buddy to sleep on the ground. All at 2 lbs 3oz. It rocks.
    Must see more photos and other angles immediately. Hurry up!!!

I just got my Megatarp, and seam sealed it. I will be hunting the Gila for Mule Deer this week, and will get pictures of it. It looks like an 80% solution for my Hammock, and I will be using it on the ground with my daughter in the Gila on a Mule Deer hunt later this month. and 80% solution on the hammock, a 100% solution on the ground, it looks like we may have a winner! I can pitch it like a standard tarp, either straight on or asym, over my hammock. Closing in the open end with the annex may be a bit of a trick, requiring some creative problem solving, but, to be absolutely fair, I have slept in my hammock to 19 degrees in wind, rain, sleet, and snow without a tarp, since it has a built in overcover. The last time I used my hammock in this altitude in 35 mile per hour winds in the low 40s (wind chill lower 20s,) and I wanted a wind block to keep the constantly shifting wind from stealing the warm air from my underquilt and overcover. This tarp will fit the bill for that. I will try to take pics.

pat

I'll post some more pics when I get off the road. You can google "smokehouse hammock shelter" or check out over on hammockforums. It's not perfect, but he is making changes like putting zippers in doors,etc to make it more stormworthy. It withstood some very high winds and snow during our elk hunt this year.

pat

lets see some pics if you can. that seems along the lines of what i was thinking.

for now im picking up a paratarp for some high mtn climbing that im going to be doing. itll be high above the tree line with limited rock area to hookup a hammock anyways so a para plus sleeping bag and bivy will be a great lightweight solution. ill get pics up after completing whitney and shasta in the next month.