Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Teetotalers Here?

Default Any Teetotalers Here?

Hey guys,

As the title asks, who here has given up alcohol? This subject came up in conversation with a couple friends just the other day, so I figured I would post up here about the subject. I personally only have a few friends who are true teetotalers. If you have quit drinking, how long has it been? If you feel up to it, explain why you quit.

Next month, May 25, to be exact, will be 41 years since I have had a drink or even a sip of any alcohol. That was the day in 1971 that I got my discharge at McChord AFB in Washington. As I walked off the base as a civilian, I made the decision to quit cold turkey on the spot, and have never looked back.

My parents never smoked or drank, and I never had a drink of alcohol until I enlisted. So, my only experience with alcolhol was during the 3 years I was in the military. Unfortunately, I had a couple issues when it came to drinking. First, I couldn't just social drink, it was all or nothing and that led to the second issue, which was wanting to fight or get violent in some way. Friends have told me it probably had something to do with my native American heritage for my intolerance to alcohol, and maybe they were right, who knows. In any event, I figured I would probably end up dead or in jail if kept on drinking, so at 22 years old said enough is enough and that was that. When I look back it's still hard to believe that I could make that decision at such a young age. Well, that's the short version of my story . Anyone else?

Let me finish off with a humorous side note. I worked at a Margaritaville bar and restaurant down on the beach for 17 years, and people would just chuckle or shake their head when they found out I didn't drink.

Mel

Default Re: Any Teetotalers Here?

Hi Mel,

similar story from me... joined the British army straight out of school, got into the 'squaddie mentality', and whenever I had any down time in that six-nearly-seven-year period, I spent it annihilated via booze. My nickname actually became 'D.R.'... and not for doctor; 'Drink Related'.

It would go;

"Why are you in front of me again Private *****?"

"Drink Related Sir"....

...predictably, my career was headed nowhere. All I did when drunk was look for trouble... I was (am) six foot plus and a heavyweight, so cops and redcaps (military police) took either sensible or slightly OTT precautions... and drew batons on me. In my drink addled stupidity, and with a misguided attitude related to being in the particular Regiment I was in, I always fought back (and of course inevitably got half killed and ended up injured and thus useless to my battalion). The folly of youth.

When, eventually, and childishly, I got bitter about not being promoted or seeming to be able to keep a girlfriend longer than a matter of days, I took a long hard look at myself. When sober, people seemed to like me, but I spent what seemed like my entire time sober apologizing for my drunken actions. It had to change.

One day I decided that 'I don't drink' anymore, and sixteen years later, aside from a sip of champagne at my friends wedding toast (I was best man) I haven't so much as sniffed alcohol since that day.

My life is leagues better for it too.

(I worked as a doorman and played rugby... no-one could believe I didn't drink then, either... working in bars and going to the clubhouse!)
    Last edited by Rick; 04-17-2012 at 03:23 AM.

Hey Rick, bravo to you! It still amazes me to this day when I see people that cannot handle their alcohol, yet refuse to give it up. If I had been a responsible social drinker, I might still be drinking today.

Mel

While I cant say that I have given up drinking, I always take the month of September off. It started because the opening day for Dove here in AZ is September 1st. Its my start of the hunting season and I like to pull it in and focus on the coming fun. I was never a big drinker when I was in my teens or early 20s but somewhere around my sophomore year in College I became a casual drinker. I was working in bars while I finishing up my undergrad and it goes hand in hand with that type of work place. I continued this trend for the next 4yrs all the while working on a Masters. After school I continued to drink but more on a daily basis rather than a social outlet. I enjoy a few drinks in the evening while I tend to the boring paperwork tied to work.

I have seen countless friends go thru rough times with alcohol and I understand that its a very tough drug for many. I have a recovering family member and I support them as much as one can. I always keep a conscience watch on my drinking trends and make sure it doesn't interfere with goals, work and relationships.

For me, I live my life with the idea that moderation is the key to most things. I am a science nerd so I think this is where it stems from.

I tip my hat to both of you for having the commitment to stay sober for so long! It is something to be very proud of and it gives others that battle with sobriety the knowledge that it is possible.

I hope this isn't out of the spectrum of this thread. If so feel free to delete it.

James

Hey James,

Thanks for your story and it is not out of the spectrum of this thread at all. I believe moderation is definately the key when it comes to drinking.

Mel

I drink so little, the beer I buy always expires!

I do enjoy a beer now and then. I cannot drink and eat, never been able to. And I seem to have some sort of natural "limiter" that says no more alcohol. Could be mid beer could be a full bottle just opened. When it hits, I just set it down.

Now, if I could just drop the snuff!

Thanks Mel.

One addiction I do wish I could show some moderation with is your products!!! I have little control over it and I fear it is spiraling out of control! 5 packs and countless pouches and now I'm progressing into tipis and sleeping bags.

Maybe a 12 step program for controlling Kifaru needs is in order?

Mel, congrats for seeing your problem before it was one.

I have a few drinks per week. I have a self-limiter as well. I really enjoy the flavor of the first drink. Half way through the second serving of alcohol, it ceases to be very good and usually don't finish it. I am flabbergasted by those that can knock out a six pack by themselves. I would either puke or fall asleep first, LOL.

My dad's father was a mean, cruel drunk, and my dad rarely drinks. His stories are enough to remind me to keep alcohol on a short leash. Fortunately, my brother feels the same way.

Alcohol is a funny beast and a very real temptation to sin for some, for others, not so much.

Like everything in creation, a time and place for everything in moderation, but for many, fleeing is the best strategy of all.
    Hunting. Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps

Alcohol I could easily live without. I enjoy a beer or a glass of wine or a dram of scotch once in a rare while. But if the doctor were to tell me that I would die if I had another drop, I would give it up in a heartbeat. I only got so drunk twice that I puked and that was enough for me. It has been easily 15+ years since I got stagger/slur my words drunk. While people tell me that I am hilarious drunk, I don’t remember it, and that is one of my dislikes. Not bring in complete control of my faculties is another dislike. Booze is just a lousy drug to my mind.

Now other things on the other hand......

I like a nip of whiskey or a beer or wine occasionally but don't over do it. I just went 9 full months without a drop and though I missed the taste and the favored times for a drink (a cold beer on a hot summer day and a whiskey after a successful hunt) were a bit lessened I didn't have a problem with it. No addiction just like the taste of some of the spirits.