Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorcyclists Check In!

Hybrid View

Default Motorcyclists Check In!

Hey guys,

Here is a thread from quite a few years ago on the message board that you newer members might enjoy and you long time members might want to rehash. Lots of fun stories on there. Here ya go:

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthre...ht=motorcycles

Now fast forwarding a few years, I'll post up my status. Still riding and now on a 2007 Yamaha FZ6, another old man's bike, but kind of a sleeper. I've had it 5 years now and have it set up pretty well. I kept the motor stock, along with stock exhaust, turn signals, and mirrors, so I wouldn't become a target for the local gendarmes up in the hills. I concentrated on ergonomics, handling, and braking. On the ergonomic side, I've got a custom Corbin seat, Rizoma bars and rearsets. The handling side would be Ohlins rear shock, full RaceTech fork mods, Ohlins steering damper, and fork brace. For the braking duties, stainless lines front and rear, Vesrah brake pads, and a Brembo front radial master cylinder. It works very well in the twisties against even the hardcore sportbikes as long as there are no long straights . I'll post up a pic later.

We've just moved to Reno, NV recently and I have decided to get back into the dirt after a 34 year layoff. We are surrounded by BLM and National Forest land where you can ride everywhere in the dirt. So, I just picked up a super clean 2004 Kawasaki KDX220, another old man's type of bike, but very capable in the woods with it's tractable 2 stroke power. Haven't had a chance to ride it, as I'm currently looking for a trailer to haul it.

So, post up guys and let everyone know what you are riding now!

Mel

Default Re: Motorcyclists Check In!

After a 25 year hiatus from riding dual-sports, I decided to try a performance bike. This is my 2008 Yamaha FZ1. I just rolled 30k miles on the odometer and it's stock except for Yoshimura slip-on. In stock form it makes over 130 hp, which is more power than I can make good use of and its stock suspension is fine for my level of play.

My youngest brother rides an '08 FZ6 and it's a very decent mid-sized sport touring bike IMO. I can actually ride it a bit quicker in the tighter twisties than my liter bike, but I'm spoiled to the relatively stronger low-end grunt offered by the FZ1.

I'm a bit infatuated with the new Triumph Explorer, so it may occupy some carport space one of these days. I've always wanted another dual-sport so a KLR would be useful, as well.

Critical thinking done in the absence of context and relevance can only produce something useful to someone with an overactive imagination.

Truth by assertion is the cornerstone of propaganda.

“Man is so avid for knowledge that everything he touches turns to facts; his faith becomes theology, his love becomes lechery, his wisdom becomes science. Pursuing meaning, he ignores truth.”

41magfan,

Thanks for checking in and cool to see another FZ fan! Good looking bike by the way, and I see you also have a taller windscreen.

Mel

Wow, that thread is a blast from the past!

Sold the Buell before leaving TX for Germany. I've got a fully loaded 2010 BMW R1200ADV now. It pretty much has everything that BMW can figure out how to put on a motorcycle. It is an amazing bike. Probably the best handling and easiest to ride cycle I've ever owned. The only thing I've done to it is had the shop put in an extra power port for my GPS and I replaced the USDOT spec turn signals with the amazing European spec LED versions.

Take care,
    "Heal with steel"
    Buckaroomedic

"Noli nothis permittere te terere."

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    41magfan,

Thanks for checking in and cool to see another FZ fan! Good looking bike by the way, and I see you also have a taller windscreen.

Mel
    Dang, I forgot all about that add-on, and the fender eliminator, too.

It's the factory "Touring" shield and I put in on right after I bought it. I gave my brother the factory Touring screen for his FZ6 and he likes his, as well.

I've been considering at a Cee Bailey screen .... they'll custom cut one in any height you want.

They make a NICE screen for the FZ6, too.
    http://www.ceebaileys.com/yamaha/fz6_07_ws.html
    Critical thinking done in the absence of context and relevance can only produce something useful to someone with an overactive imagination.

“Man is so avid for knowledge that everything he touches turns to facts; his faith becomes theology, his love becomes lechery, his wisdom becomes science. Pursuing meaning, he ignores truth.”

Hey guys,

Finally got around to snapping some shots of the bikes. First 3 are of the FZ6 and last one is the KDX220.

Name:  FZ11.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  33.8 KB Name:  FZ22.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  35.3 KB Name:  FZ44.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  26.0 KB Name:  Kaw22.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  35.3 KB

Mel

Hi Mel,

I had no idea there were so many motorcycle lovers in the Kifaru family. So i thought i'd add me and the hubby.

Angie - Customer Service.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

"I used to could" as Jeff Foxworthy would say... I started riding at 18 with a Suzuki Bandit and the following year went to a Suzuki GSXR 600 and LOVED THAT BIKE! Even after the high-side, broken wrist and broken collar bone I loved that bike. But young and dumb caught up with me financially and I sold it. A couple years later I bought an older honda VLX 600 and rode it for a summer before selling it too, then marriage and kids happened... this year, a friend sold me an old GS850, it is a birth year bike for me (I am only 30...) with 50K on it for a whopping $250... I paid him in beer to replace the head gasket due to a blown o-ring at the top of the jug, had to replace the airbox boots and picked up a windshield... It will need fork seals replaced (which he gave me with the bike) and I have started on cosmetics. I recovered the seat and sissy bar pad with, what else, multicam neoprene backed cordura! Planning to paint it coyote, I am using a cheap Fox Tactical ruck as a T-Bag but I may exchange that for a green tic (classic army ALICE ruck for those not in the know) and then a pair of E&Es in Multicam may be in my future for saddle bags. I think my multicam claymore will make a perfect tank bag! Now to find the hard plastic rifle scabbard...

To recap, I am putting together a multifunction motorcycle that I can use for everthing but the lumberyard, and believe me, we considered adding a trailer hitch.

Those were strong, reliable bikes if I recall correctly ... one of the first to have a reputation for good life expectancy over 100k miles. I once saw an old school bike like that done in OD and Flat Black with a splash of camo here and there. It was bad lookin'.

I'm still riding as well. Still can't quite get rid of the hooligan part of riding so I'm still on a supermoto.

Eventually, I'd like to get on a big street V-twin like a Super Duke. Just something with lots of low end torque and fun to ride.