Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Accuracy: ?

Default AR-15 Accuracy: ?

I'm considering an AR-15 for serious predator control here on my farm. I have an abundance of coyotes, and it's time to get serious about them. My question: Is the AR-15 truly a suitable 300 yard bullet-stacker? My shot distances will run from 100 to 300 yards. Other feedback is appreciated! Thanks.

Default Re: AR-15 Accuracy: ?

I'm thinking you might want to define the level of accuracy, weight, and maybe the optic set-up you're intending, and then let us know your budgetary constraints on such an item.

There is a truly dizzying array of components to choose from here. Can you narrow it down a little?

I think for now I'll withdraw my question. I may have to do some research in order to better define parameters. I am simply not familiar with the array of options to choose from. Thanks everyone.

Hey Kevin:

Here's a 3 Part article about the Ar-15 as a Varmint Rifle. (Haven't read the whole thing, but may be a start for your research)

Part 1: http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...ng-ar-15-1.php
    Part 2: http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...ar-15-II-1.php
    Part 3: http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...r-15-III-1.php
    MojoSlim

I say just get high capacity mags, and start shooting. You will get some.
    Or maybe just get a .243 and decent optics, and shoot them all in the ear.

I think an AR platform rifle can be had that will shoot at about any accuracy level you want, you just have to pay for it and get all the goodies that will make shoot at that level.

Kevin,

The AR-15 is more than capable for this task. I am unsure of your location; I would gladly help you mitigate your Coyote problem or other vermin, if you are close.
    I have many AR's built, so I could bring a few. I also have a Bushmaster Varminter w/ 24" barrel w/less than 150 rounds down range (for sale)you could try. The Bushy is a tack driver, but I need to get a scope for a new custom .260 sitting in my safe.

RandallH
    Last edited by RandallH; 04-12-2012 at 05:21 PM.

I've gotten yotes and foxes both at 300 yards with a prit near bone stock, iron sighted mini 14. If you cant hit a dog at that range with an AR it's not the weapons fault
    Fire without movement is a waste, movement without fire is suicide.

Please excuse all grammar and punctuation mistakes. I'm posting from my phone.

I realize that I asked my question a bit prematurely. I hadn't spent any time familiarizing myself with all the AR variants out there, and they are many. I used to be the kind of guy who'd need to know everything...research it to death...before buying an item. I'm older now and more inclined to use the knowledge of others to guide me to a destination. Since starting this thread I've come to understand that many of the modern AR rifles are capable of sub-MOA accuracy with good ammo. I'm satisfied on that account. Now I'm trying to gain a bit of familiarity with setups, accessories, variations and what I might desire in a predator gun. I'm not going to hike miles with it. I live exactly in the middle of coyote heaven, and I'm simply going to be using it from my back deck...farm...and short trips. My primary target is coyotes, with the occasional groundhog, feral cat or other noxious species thrown in. I've decided I'll be best suited with a varmint/predator-styled AR with heavy barrel and adjustable buttstock. There are so many weapons and options out there....basically impssible to review them all and select one as "best".

I appreciate the ideas and knowledge shared here. What I get from you guys will undoubtedly have an impact on the exact weapon I select.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dill View Post
    Now I'm trying to gain a bit of familiarity with setups, accessories, variations and what I might desire in a predator gun. I'm not going to hike miles with it. I live exactly in the middle of coyote heaven, and I'm simply going to be using it from my back deck...farm...and short trips. My primary target is coyotes, with the occasional groundhog, feral cat or other noxious species thrown in. I've decided I'll be best suited with a varmint/predator-styled AR with heavy barrel and adjustable buttstock. There are so many weapons and options out there....basically impssible to review them all and select one as "best".

I appreciate the ideas and knowledge shared here. What I get from you guys will undoubtedly have an impact on the exact weapon I select.
    Well, Let me start off to you with a warning!!! AR's are dangerous... To the bank account!

I first bought my first AR (standard K.I.S.S. carbine) over 15 years ago... Since that $600 purchase I have spent THOUSANDS on accessories & gadgets for this weapon- sights, scopes, lights, lasers, grips, stocks, rails, ladders, plates, magazines, stripper clips, pouches, vests, chest rigs, LBV's, LCE's, slings, bayonets, adapters, risers, offsets, etc... The list goes on & on & on!

Literally "changing it's clothes" every week or so, never being happy with it's functionality or fashionability when the next "NEW" gadget or item came out on the market!

After thousands of dollars, bought-sold-traded, my rifle is right back to how I origionally bought it. A K.I.S.S. carbine. I probably could've bought a nice M1A with full battle rattle for that designated rifle with the amount of cash I spent on BS for my AR. And now, I would be lucky to get $600 out of that origional weapon that I blew money on.

Yes, they are fun! Yes, they are accurate! Yes, they are light! Yes, they are manageable! NO, THEY ARE NOT INEXPENSIVE!!!!

I would suggest you purchase a 24" varmint model with an A4 Upper, get a 3-9 quality scope, and a PRS stock (NOT COLLAPSIBLE)!! Get yourself acouple 20rd mags & "A" (singular, one, uno) "loaded" bandoleer. Maybe a bipod? DON'T waste money on a sling, as it would be a static weapon base. I would personally suggest you get an enhanced trigger gaurd & trade out the grip for a MOE or a Hogue. THAT'S IT!!! You don't "NEED" anything more for what you require!!

That is my suggestion. Otherwise get yourself a standard M1A, acouple mags & a nice scope.

Oh yea! Don't forget a butt load of ammo!
    Last edited by Pathfinder; 04-15-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: grammar & punctuation
    Pathfinder

Stealth is the most important aspect... Fire Superiority helps alittle too.