Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winchester 100

Default winchester 100

Been in the process of ridding myself of firearms I don't have much use for and am striving for keeping a few that are in common easy to get calibres that make logistical sense. Long story short, I wasnt shooting an pretty Colt Lawman 357 very often so I took it to my FFL and ended up trading for an really nice and good condition Winchester 100 in 308 chambering.

Other than being an semi auto and 308, I have no experiance with these rifles. They seem nice and pointable. Anyone have any real drive time with one of these? Any good, bad, ugly stories/experiances. Input on how they functioned or malfunctioned?

Thanks

OPC

Default Re: winchester 100

Great rifle. Jack O'Connor writes favorably in "The Rifle Book". I use mine with a receiver sight for black timber. Mags are getting hard to find and more expensive, so do not loose yours. Winchester had a recall to mod the trigger to prevent, I belive, full auto. The rifles that have been modified are stamped. Details if you google the recall. Lightweight and accurate for a semiauto.

It kinda strikes me as an bigger 10/22. Im thinking about an low power optic or even an red dot. Then im handing it off to my nephew in a few years.

On of my huntin' buds back in High School had a 1st Generation 100 (fine point cut checking - the later version had pressed checkering) in .308 and I shot it some. It was acceptably accurate and reasonably reliable, but the magazine seemed to be the weak link in that system and it was very sensitive to cartridge OAL with reloads. Another hunting bud had one chambered in .284 - his too was a bit finicky though it was very accurate for an autoloader.
    Critical thinking done in the absence of context and relevance can only produce something useful to someone with an overactive imagination.

Truth by assertion is the cornerstone of propaganda.

“Man is so avid for knowledge that everything he touches turns to facts; his faith becomes theology, his love becomes lechery, his wisdom becomes science. Pursuing meaning, he ignores truth.”

I was with a co-worker last year that was shooting a model 100. He liked the rifle, but complained that it would knock the scope mount loose. Thinking it was an install issue, I went to the gun range with him. I checked all of the hardware myself and everything seemed fine. By the third shot the scope was loose and not suprisingly, he couldn't hit a thing. If he shot the iron sights it was tack driver. A long story made short; we tried blue loctite, red loctite, and new mounts with new hardware to no avail. I have not seen anything like this. On our last trip to the rifle range, there was an older gentleman who was watching us. He came over and commented on our situation. He told us that in his hunting camp 3 people had the same trouble. All eventually had gotten rid of the gun as a result.

One thing I did notice with my co-workers rifle, is it ejected shells a country mile. It made me wonder if the bolt spring was light and it was slamming the bolt in the receiver so hard that it hammered the screws loose. Does your model 100 have a scope on it? Has anyone ever seen this before?
    Don't spread my wealth; spread my work ethic.

I've heard of this scope mount issue recently while doing an little research. If I have issues perhaps ill drill and tap out to 8-40 fasteners for more meat and holding.

I can envision this being an nice handy rifle with just irons or an dot sight. After im done playing with it I plan on gifting it to my nephew. After all, uncle has to have someone to spoil.

I am curious why this one semi auto rifle would rattle scopes loose when other semi autos don't? Does it have some kind of unique recoil system?

Quote Originally Posted by elmbow View Post
    I am curious why this one semi auto rifle would rattle scopes loose when other semi autos don't? Does it have some kind of unique recoil system?
    I wonder the same thing.

Oldpinecricker- I would be interested in your results when you shoot it if you experience similar results with the scope loosening.

One of my uncles hunted with a .243 Winchester 100 for years. It was a tack-driver, and, to my recollection,
    never had any problems with the scope shooting loose.

The gun was recalled for a bolt/firing pin problem, IIRC, not trigger issues. The firing pin would break & jam in the
    fired position, causing the gun to slam-fire, at least.
    Here's a link to a thread about it, along with recall information: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-436987.html
    I do not know if the recall is still active.

My uncle died several years ago, & I didn't get the gun; I wish I had it!

I think I have a couple of mags for the gun--one for .284, the other for .243/.308 (same basic case). If anyone has any interest in
    them, let me know & we can probably work something out.

David

oldpinecricker- How did this rifle shoot for you? Did you put a scope on it?