Thread: WalMart Stuff

Default WalMart Stuff

My local WalMart isn’t very local so I get up there maybe a couple of times per year. This time I stopped when driving by and picked up a couple of interesting items.

A set of folding bowl and cup in silicone rubber was interesting and cost about $9. Silicone rubber is both heat resistant and insulating, desirable characteristics in the field. The set weighs 5.7 oz. and measures 4.75” dia. x 1” high when collapsed, the cup fitting neatly into the bowl. While these are similar to the Gouot Designs Squishy bowls that have been around for some years they differ in two ways, they collapse to minimize pack space and don’t collapse in use. You have to be careful when handling the squishy bowls, an absent-minded squeeze and the contents squirt out. The folding set has a hard nylon band around the center that serves two purposes. First, the band provides a matrix for collapsing the bowl and second, the band provides rigidity.

I compared the silicone rubber set with another type, the Swedish Fold-A-Cups in large and small sizes.. These are not as heat-resistant but are somewhat insulating, cost about $13 per set, weigh 2.4 oz. and measure about 4.5” dia. x 1.5” stored the small cup fitting neatly into the larger. Both sizes have little stub handles I have used Fold-A-Cups for years and have found them quite tough. Silicone rubber is commonly used in kitchen equipment and, although softer than the plastic used in the Swedish cups should prove just as tough. As far as I know, neither material leaches anything objectionable.

Both styles of cups and bowls have approximately the same capacity.

Another item I got was a $5 plastic spork/spatula set made by Outdoor Products weighing .5 oz. and measuring 6 5/8” x 1 5/8”. These are very similar to the Guyot Designs $5 Mini-Bites utensil set that weighs .7 oz. and measures 6” x 1.75”. Either utensil locks two pieces together, one piece a spork, the other a knife/spreader/spatula. Both appear to be of equivalent quality and, with reasonable care, should last for years.

I also got the $10 light tarp. This is 5’ x 7’, 8.8 oz. and packs into a net bag 7” x 4” x 2”. This was the last one and the color is blue, not my favorite color for tarps, there is a brass grommet on each corner while I prefer sewn-on peg loops, and 5’ x 7’ is pretty minimal for a shelter but for the price it’s not a bad deal. It can be rigged as an emergency shelter, a gear shelter, a dining fly, a ground sheet, folded and used as a sit pad and is lighte enough and compact enough to fit into a small daypack. The fabric and coating seems to be of good quality.

Default Re: WalMart Stuff

Is that rubber cookware stuff located in the Sporting Goods section?
    Critical thinking done in the absence of context and relevance can only produce something useful to someone with an overactive imagination.

Truth by assertion is the cornerstone of propaganda.

“Man is so avid for knowledge that everything he touches turns to facts; his faith becomes theology, his love becomes lechery, his wisdom becomes science. Pursuing meaning, he ignores truth.”

"Is that rubber cookware stuff located in the Sporting Goods section?"

All the things I mentioned are in sporting goods. In fact, I think they were all together. Another item is the "UFO" tent light for about $7. These are about 6" in diameter with LEDs spaced around the outer edge, using a couple of AA cells. Light and compact, very nice area light, The only problem is the switch is VERY light so you either don't carry the batteries in the light or, as I did, save the plastic bubble and carry the light with that protecting the switch. I made a snug-fitting sil-nylon bag to hold it.

$19.99 telescoping hiking poles. 4 years and still going strong. I have put a lot of miles on these things and they keep going. I have seen numerous other cheap poles break but mine don't. Snowshoeing, hiking, backpack hunting and center pole for my tipi. I would love to get a lighter "better" set but $20 and 4+ years how do you beat that?

Also they have cheap, lightweight waterproof stuff sacks, been happy with those as well.