Thread: AZ people: 9mm sensible for hiking/backpacking?

Default AZ people: 9mm sensible for hiking/backpacking?

Hi All,

Having moved to AZ from NY I've been wanting to add a semi-auto handgun for backpacking and camping. Back in NY I used my beloved S&W 686 plus 4" in .357mag, but here for some reason, I find myself wanting something with more capacity - I am much more worried about the humans here than the animals especially since firearms are much easier to get than back in NY.

With that said, would you guys feel comfortable carrying a 9mm in the Glock 19 or 17 variety while backpacking in AZ? Or should I aim for a different caliber for hiking/backpacking?

Should I really not concern myself with the 9mm/.40sw/45acp debate and just carry what I enjoy?

Thank you for the help.

Default Re: AZ people: 9mm sensible for hiking/backpacking?

For discouraging human attackers (likely plural), I feel well-enough armed with a double-stack 9mm loaded with Gold Dot 124gr +p.

IMO, good training and regular, disciplined practice are roughly 963% more important than whether you're shooting 9mm or .40 or .45. Go shoot a bunch of IDPA matches, and find out what your gun-handling abilities are when you're moving and shooting under a teeny bit of stress.

I still remember Jeff Cooper's advice: "If you can't handle your problem with six rounds, either you're missing, and more ammo won't help, or you've bitten off more than you can chew, and more ammo won't help."

That being said, if you can shoot, a 9mm in good hands would be fine.

My experience has been that wild animals can't tell the difference between calibers, and people just recognize "gun." I've shot a skunk at 6 paces with a .45acp, missed a skunk at about the same distance with a .30-06. (muzzle blast saved me there) I think both were rabid. I also had a fox running toward my wife as she was buckling my son in the car, and I was just about to fire when it spun around and headed the other way.

I think Kmassaro's absolutely right, the point is having it, and knowing how and when to use it. My personal experience is that critters have had more need of it than people, so don't forget them.. .45 sure did work on that skunk though..

Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
    - I am much more worried about the humans here than the animals especially since firearms are much easier to get than back in NY.
    PLEASE don't take this as an attempt to derail your post or question your judgment in any way, but your supposition for wanting a different gun kinda struck me funny.

The only people with limited or denied access to firearms in NYC are law abiding citizens. The kind of people I would be concerned with - proportionately – exist in MUCH greater numbers where you came from – not where you’re likely living now. If I understood the above correctly, I'd have wanted a hi-cap 9mm in NYC and I'd be fine with the 686 in a country setting.

Did I completely misread your reason for contemplating another sidearm?

PS: Aside from anything I’ve said, I’m certainly not implying that you need a “reason” to want anything. What fun is that?
    Critical thinking done in the absence of context and relevance can only produce something useful to someone with an overactive imagination.

Truth by assertion is the cornerstone of propaganda.

“Man is so avid for knowledge that everything he touches turns to facts; his faith becomes theology, his love becomes lechery, his wisdom becomes science. Pursuing meaning, he ignores truth.”

Which do you shoot better if having to shoot multiple targets fast from 3 to 25 yards? The one I shot the best is the one I'd carry, irrespective of action type.

I carry a 9mm up here in New England and when down visiting my mom in AZ. Woods, society, etc. With 18 rounds of NATO 124grain fmj I am comfirtable to face nearly anything here on this coast.

Now the only time I dont carry a 9 in gthe woods is when I carry a .22 mag revolver
    Fire without movement is a waste, movement without fire is suicide.

Please excuse all grammar and punctuation mistakes. I'm posting from my phone.