Thread: Riding with a Kifaru Pack

Default Riding with a Kifaru Pack

I am going to buy a midsized Kifaru pack. Considering the T3 because of the side pockets and ease of carrying a small tripod and Spotter.

Also considering a T2 or any other suggestions.

Anyone ride a horse in a Kifaru pack? Any special considerations? I plan on riding in with a two night pack and camp, hunting a bit, then walking out. I am 5'8" and about 170#. I hope to keep the loaded pack to 40ish#

Suggestions welcome. Thanks Eric

Default Re: Riding with a Kifaru Pack

T3 all the way for your needs. It is a Spikecamp main body with all the extra pockets and added features. T2 is very nice but might be on the big side as far as a horse goes? I have a T3 with extra pockets and pods and I just keep liking it more and more. I did 12 miles last week with almost 60# and it was simply awesome. The 24" stays in this smaller sized pack makes heavier loads a dream to carry. The T3 is an outstanding 2-3 day pack.

Brunse: I have ridden a horse once with a Molle Express. I found it a bit uncomfortable. My hunting partner and his buddy were riding in to retrieve an elk, and I rode in half way and hunted on foot while they took the horse I had been riding to pack the elk out. I followed them out on foot.

I wore the Mollex with an omni belt and the way it rode low made it hard to sit back in the saddle. Had to be leaning forward a bit the whole ride. I'm thinking that I could have packed it differently, maybe a bit higher and use the compression straps to keep the load up a bit to allow me to sit back a bit more.

I can't say whether or not another pack would do better. I would imagine that any pack with a belt would have this issue. Perhaps its just a matter of packing your bag for riding a horse. I'm wondering if Ed C will chime in with his experience riding with a pack.

Anyway, that's my limited experience riding with a K pack. Hope it helps.
    MojoSlim

Mojo has it right. Any pack with a belt will be uncomfortable on a horse. Put the pack in a saddlebag, you'll be happier.

lissen to Kevin....... Altho it can be done, doesn't mean it should. Most packs(with belts) can't be hoisted high enuff to clear the cantle. Rodeo's and rough country will be yer demise, 'cause of the imbalance and lack of mobility to sit the critter. Lash it on behind, or take a pack animal. Even my daystalker is unsuitable if chit happens. And it will. After all, it IS hunting season.....

Although I have ridden a lot, I've only hunted from horseback a few times. I did not even seriously consider wearing a pack for all of the reasons Huntsman mentioned. Plus you don't want the chance of the hip belt catching on the saddle horn if things get "western". I just stuffed some emergency gear in my pockets. I would give much weight to what Huntsman said, and what Ed C might recommend if he posts to this thread.

If I were to wear a pack, it would be something along the lines of a Camelbak or an E&E.
    Last edited by Buck W; 04-06-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: add Camelbak and E&E

Thanks for the replies. I ride a lot with a small daypack. I usually have about 25# max. Just starting to do a few things differently, like a few overnighters. Rest assured when I have a pack horse available, I'll use it! I walk a lot and hang my pack on the horn.