Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, now that the excitement on the KU packs has settled down

Default OK, now that the excitement on the KU packs has settled down

OK, now that the excitement on the KU packs has settled down, can you guys that are long time Kifaru fans tell me if you are still tickled with your KU pack? There has been some time to get some miles on these packs and I would love to hear some feedback - post wow this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am thinking about buying a 3700 and just want to hear what the thoughts are now that some trail time has taken place.

Thanks,
    Ron

Default Re: OK, now that the excitement on the KU packs has settled down

HFlier:

Sawtooth probably has more miles on his KU3700 than anyone. I'm sure he'll be along to answer your questions, but he spends a lot of time in the field, so he may not be quick to reply. You might try PMing him.

Regards,
    Scott

Well, it just so happens I'm NOT in the backcountry tonight, but I was the first half of this past week...carrying my beloved KU 3700! I'm not much of a bread eater, but I do feel the KU line, and in particular the 3700, are awesome packs. The 3700 seems to fit my load and body really well. Others need the 5200. If you're a backpacker and hunter who really watches pack weight, these packs are what you're looking for. There are a lot of other ultralight packs out there, but they just don't carry the load that the KU packs do. Most of them are designed for loads around 25 pounds or so. Not so with the KU packs. I've had around 75 pounds of meat in mine, and routinely train with a 40-pound bag of wood pellets. My normal three season backpacking load weighs around 25-30 pounds now. My hunting load is around 40. The ability to squash a 3700 down and use it for day trips out of base camp is handy too.

As far as the excitement over the KU line settling down...well, in my case it hasn't. Every time I load mine up and head out I just marvel at the design, workmanship, and capability of my pack. I haven't used either my Late Season or my Longhunter since I got my KU3700. I decided to keep both since one was a gift and I can loan the other out from time to time.

If there are specific questions about the KU3700, fire away!
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com
    http://fishrigs.com/

Sawtooth:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a response. You said what I wanted to hear. I have a Longhunter which I really like and if the 3700 is enough to make you leave the LH at home, it has to be a damn good pack!

Thanks,
    Ron

yup. i'm waiting on my 5200 now so i don't have to lug the mmr around anymore even though training with dive weights in it is a good thing. i'm looking forward to seeing how compressible it is under partial load. thanks

Sawtooth took the words right out of my mouth. I own a ku 3700 and Longhunter Guide, 90% of my backpacking is done with the ku. phil
    none

Another KU lover. I only use it for backpacking. It carry very well as usual. No regret to sell my EMR.
    Only one thing I need to compromise, the fabric is quite soft if I want pack the sharp as tradional backpack. I have do some trick that I will put the short sleeping pad around the pack. It makes the pack firm and pack easier. But if I buy again, I will buy KU3700.

Maybe my KU 5200 need some rest now because my T2 just arrived .

Good info everyone! I can't wait for my KU3700 to arrive this month!

Take care,
    "Heal with steel"
    Buckaroomedic

"Noli nothis permittere te terere."

The word to describe the KU packs is....simply amazing! I still can't get over how feather light they are, yet they carry heavy loads with ease!
    The woods are calling and I must go

Sawtooth,
    1. Do you run the bag slick or with extra pockets when hunting? If so, what pockets? KU long pockets, possibles or belt pouches?
    2. Do you feel the need for the upgraded belt to carry heavier loads of meat?
    3. Does your belt have power pulls?