Thread: Fracking Frenzy

Default Fracking Frenzy

Well Fracking is coming on big time in NE Ohio (really Eastern Ohio). Perhaps luckily, it is starting later than it did in Pennsylvania. I don't believe the blanket assertion that it is always safe (no water contamination, etc), but it would seem to me that it should be able to be done safely. Seems like the first landowners to sign up have gotten scr--ed. Most got very low payments for drilling rights and didn't understand their options in these negotiations as to layouts of pads, reclamation, guarantees on protecting their water, etc.). As time has gone on, many landowners have combined in negotiations for better terms. Heard one 200 acre landowner that got 1.2 mil for drilling rights (on land that previously was going for $1500/acre and that doesn't include 10-20% royalty payments) compared to early signers who might have gotten 10-20,000. It certainly has a lot of attributes of a bubble, although in NE Ohio the play is for the UTTICA shale which supposedly is more wet gas (higher amounts of ethane that sells more like oil and is used in chemical manufacture). Unfortunately, our farm is in southern Ohio well west of the Marcellus shale and well south and west of the Uttica shale. Interestingly our governor is pushing to raise taxes on gas production coupled with reducing income taxes. Seems like such a common sense thing to do that I am surprised it might happen. Anyway, I am curious of others experience with the tracking boom.

Default Re: Fracking Frenzy

At what depth {TVD] are they fracking?

On aspect I don't quite understand about this. As far as I know, in most areas poisoning your neighbor's well is a criminal act. Contaminating the waer supply seems to fit into this category and I suspect that marching a few corporate CEOs off to prison would would get the attention of those who are responsible for creating a safe environment for their business activities.

As I have heard, the Uttica shale is at about 2000 feet in NE Ohio, were as the Marcellus shale is 7000-9000 feet.

Ralph, I don't know anyone personally whose well has become contaminated. From what I have read, the scenario is that the drillers come in, frack, the neighbors well water suddenly has methane in it (you can light it) and smells of organics. The drilling company claims there is no connection, but sometimes pays for fresh water deliveries. I don't know where the truth is, but I suspect that there are drillers who do things properly and those who don't. Seems to have a wild west aspect to it.

I know folks in PA who have had the problems you mentioned, gas in their water that you can light at the surface, etc. The main problem is that when they frack the shale to release the gas any pathways up from the shale that connect to a water table (possibly multiple ones between the shale and the surface) can cause that water table to be polluted. Basically, whatever the gas can seep into as it works its way up to the surface is at risk; it doesn't just go up through the pipe they use to extract it.

i have a place in southern ohio and i had several requests for leasing. no money yet. i have seen a lot of mess from drillers way back when i worked on a small rig. dirty job.

"The drilling company claims there is no connection"

If it was my well I would afford them the opportunity to demonstrate that claim in court, under oath.

"there are drillers who do things properly and those who don't."

The ones who do things properly deserve rich reward, the ones that don't deserve harsh punishment. I am very much pro-business and pro-energy source. That does NOT mean that these guys should be able to do any damn thing they please, anyway they like.

I'm a green conservative on issues such as this. We have to get the science right. There is no need to rush things. The gas isn't going anywhere.