Thread: How's the snowpack in the mountains?

Default How's the snowpack in the mountains?

This hot weather has me wondering how it is in the mountains. Last year I delayed my summer trip because of the record snowpack, I am guessing it will be quite different this year. I am most interested in the Elks and Glacier National Park (the wife has always wanted to see Glacier). Been over 80 in southern Ohio for the last 8 days.

Default Re: How's the snowpack in the mountains?

It's thin for this time of year over most of CO, except the southwestern part. Don' t know about up there though.
    "Neither sport nor art should be unnecessarily cluttered and complicated."

In the NW region of the country we just had an good snow dump up in the mountains. Perhaps several feet. I'm at around 2000'ft elevation and I got around 6" and an lot of rain. This continued thru N. Idaho and into western Montana. It's been pretty normal and cool unlike the rest of the country and today is really the first day in N. Idaho that's been clear and it got up to 60* where I live.

So long story short is that we probably had an average winter in the Northern Rockies. Even in shaded areas down where I and my parents dwell our yard still is covered in snow in low elevation that there's your answer.

Just saw on the news that Colorado is only at 71%, and no new snow coming for the remainder of March. This has been one of the warmest, windiest Marches I remember. Tomorrow calls for relatively hot, extremely windy conditions AGAIN. It's getting old...it's been years since we've had a normal winter (or any other season) in our country here in the south-central foothills. Prolonged drought.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com
    http://fishrigs.com/

It has been odd here too. Last year we got well over 150% of normal snowpack in the Windrivers, and now this year we barely get to 100%. In the desert itself that I live in we haven't gotten anything, and we NEED a wet spring to get rid of some of the dust.