Thread: A modest proposal...

Default A modest proposal...

Gents,

I have what is becoming a mild case of antler shed obsession. I find a few every year and it is one of the highlights of my outdoor adventures. My retriever is showing promise at finding them, and my son has decided on sheds for his Boy Scout collecting merit badge.

I'm sure many of you can see where I am going, so I'll cut to the chase. I'll trade flyfishing, duckhunting at my club or whatever else we can work out if you would be willing to take my son and budding antler sniffing dog out where we could find some sheds. I'll drive, bring some fantastic coffee, and we can split the sheds giving you first choice of the best bone, if it is a matched set, you get both. An elk shed would merit a cold one on me on the way home; I'll even spring for imported if you like.

I have one trip sked with a very generous Kifaruite who has already put me on some trout and would like to hang out with some more guys here who like the outdoors, want to help out a scout and may want to watch a Lab sniff out bones.

I apply the same ethic for sheds as I do duck hunting spots: I don't visit a spot unless it is with the guy who showed me where it is at. Secrecy is assured.

I live in Monument, so Front Range works, but honestly I'll drive a long ways for what will become a family heirloom. I say that about a lot of gear and my wife is skeptical about my definition of "heirloom".

Good hunting.

Steve
    Jesus Christ; don't leave Earth without him.

Default Re: A modest proposal...

Reading this makes me wish I knew a good place or two but unfortunately, I don't!!
    "Neither sport nor art should be unnecessarily cluttered and complicated."

I too am wanting to increase my antler heirlooms. Here is what I plan on doing; Call your fin&fur and talk to a biologist near you neck of the woods, ask if they have winter grounds that are public lands and where he/she would advise shed pick ups with your youngster. I intend to let said biologist understand that I'm not planning on trekking there during crucial winter months, but after April and also emphasize the fact that it's just a family bonding trip with hopes of finding some bone as icing on the cake.

I know that the biologists in my office are all nice and helpful folks.

Good luck!

Steve,

PM sent.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com
    http://fishrigs.com/

Steve,

This isn't a shed, but I found this on the ridge west of our house. I think this one was hit on the highway and crawled his way up on the ridge under an old juniper tree and died there. The little toothpick tucked in my backpack belt is another one I found the same day...on St. Patrick's day a week or so ago. There are bigger ones than this one still on the hoof around here.

"Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala

www.tenkaratracks.com

Nice bones Paul. My little girl and I found one fresh one and very well preserved year old shed. Wonder dog fetched both of them, but I had to wait near the bone for several minutes before he stopped hunting birds and noticed them. I guess there are worse things than a lab that wants to point birds. I have seen several with their gear still as well, so the hunting should be good for another week or two.

Sorry I couldn't get down today, after church little Chloe and I both pretty much hit a wall and slept all afternoon; not a bad way to spend a Sunday.

We'll talk when my wife and I get back from Paris next wekend.

Regards,

Steve
    Jesus Christ; don't leave Earth without him.

Steve,

I'm out in the boonies all week backpacking. Sundays in April are OK though.

--Dersu Uzala

www.tenkaratracks.com