Thread: Brunton 54LU Compass

Default Brunton 54LU Compass

It is that time of the year when I start teaching land navigation. When students see my Brunton 54LU Compass some want to purchase one. This is one of the compasses described in the articles on land navigation on this site under essays. I have not seen this compass for sale on any of the usual sites for over a year. At thecompassstore.com there is a compass by KR that allows sighting like the Brunton but it is not the same. While I might loan my firearms to a friend I would not loan the Brunton 54LU as it can not be replaced and it is such an accurate compass. Do any of you know where this compass can be purchased? As it was never made by Brunton that is not a source. Why it was discontinued I will never understand.

Default Re: Brunton 54LU Compass

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthre...highlight=54lu

Elmbow swears the KR is better than the 54lu. That may well be, I don't know, I merely note that with KR you'll need to use a protractor.

Quote Originally Posted by David in OR View Post
    http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthre...highlight=54lu

Elmbow swears the KR is better than the 54lu. That may well be, I don't know, I merely note that with KR you'll need to use a protractor.
    Better sighting prism IMO, and it has all the same scales as the 54 except the 100k grid, and since I use Terrain Navigator at 49% to print my maps, (as D Blust recommends), to print my maps, and I grid them, no need for the protractor anyhoos.

Near as I can tell, Brunton decided a year or so ago to DQ importing the "Silva 54". It can be had online out of Great Britain, and some say with luminescence out of OZ.

A simple Google search brings up lots of hits: http://www.freetime1.co.uk/Models.as...e=UnitedStates
    Last edited by elmbow; 03-21-2012 at 09:00 AM.

The K&R Alpin Pro does have a certain precise and German look about it that I find appealing.

The K&R Alpin Pro does have a certain precise and German look about it that I find appealing.
    Ach der Lieber!

I bought a Silva Expedition 54 and I had to order from across the pond -from the Freetime Co that Emlbow references. I looked far and wide and made a few phone calls-not to be had in the US. Puzzling.

philos

Das Glas ist halb leer.

Das Glas ist halb leer.
    Mit pils vom Munchen?

Ja voll, halb.