Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Trayvon Martin

Default Trayvon Martin

For ccw permit holders and anyone else out there, I wanted to share a comment that was posted on an article about evidence stacking up against the shooter. The whole situation makes me sick to my stomach, for the kid who was killed, and for the guy who seemed to have wanted to be a hero in the worst sort of way, and unfortunately, the "worst sort of way" seemed to be all that he got.

http://gma.yahoo.com/trayvon-martin-...-abc-news.html

Marvin posted:
    "As a gun owner, you have to be cool-headed, moreso than the police ever have to be.
    And you do not ever run around pretending to be the police while carrying a gun because then things like this can happen.
    You do not start any crap, act aggressively, flip the bird, roll your eyes, talk junk, or even raise your voice. To anyone. Ever.
    A combat instructor once said to me: "From now on, when dealing with crazy / possibly violent people, you will lose every argument. You are always wrong. You are sorry for impinging on their day. You will apologize and apologize again. You will back the F down. You will put your tail between your legs. You will let them talk about your ladyfriend. You will let them call your mother and your dad names. You have no ego. "
    "You do all this because if you are the one to start a fight, by default that fight now has a gun in it, and if you start losing, you're going to pull it and kill him. And even if you don't go to jail because you could convince the jury that it was self-defense, you're going to have to live with the fact that you could have saved someone's life and yet you let your ego kill someone."
    "You are not the police, so don't act like them"."

Default Re: Trayvon Martin

It is a sick-making situation. I heard the 911 recordings and cringed. Maybe the kid was into B&E, maybe not. But he's dead now, and whatever local LE would prefer to do or not to do, I wouldn't want to be the shooter.

"You have no ego." That's a good summary. And it's a high bar.

I carry to protect my family, others, and myself last. If I f-up, I easily stand to hurt all three.

The only "easy" situation I've been in was when a fox ran up behind my wife as she was buckling my daughter in her car seat at a trailhead. My wife didn't realize what happened until I pointed out the fox, retreating 75 yards away, luckily, it turned when it did, it was 10 feet away from her, and I was just about ready to squeeze, thinking it was rabid. In the end, still REALLY glad I didn't have to shoot.

We'll never know what was actually in Zimmerman's head or his heart. Because of that, I won't judge him from afar. I'll just keep him and the dead guy in mind--and try to stay mindful of my own thoughts and emotions as I go about.

Quote Originally Posted by David in OR View Post

"You have no ego." That's a good summary. And it's a high bar.
    It is. Now that I almost always have a handgun easily accessible in my vehicle, I find it easier to disengage with other motorists who want to flip me off, cut me off, or whatever. It's easier to just smile at them and go about your business when you know that if it escalates, something bad could very well happen and it won't likely happen to you.
    "Neither sport nor art should be unnecessarily cluttered and complicated."

I have been in dozens of situations as a paremedic where I knew EXACTLY what was going on because I was engaged in mitigating the scene. Later, reading about it in the news or in the recap a lawyer provided in support of his client, I would hear a completely different story... a story that sounded profoundly convincing... but then, I remind myself... I was there, I KNOW what happened. These folks are talented, they know exactly how to lead the general population to draw a conclusion.

I have no idea what happened down there in Florida, but there is one thing I am absolutely sure of.... there is NO chance of knowing what really happened based on the information circulated.
    ANJRPC Life Member

That's my gut reaction right now too Medicjim. The whole soda pop and Skittles story isn't washing with me, and the Fed jumping in with their hate crimes investigation is BS too. That's politics pure and simple, and I sense an underlying mission to give a black eye to CCW and stand your ground laws. No matter what the true story is, (we hope justice prevails and that truth will out), between now and the time it is put to bed, the media will have a feeding frenzy on gun owners with it.
    Anyways, a tragedy to be sure, anytime a young life is snuffed out. Watching the news and bloggers reminds one that there's plenty of bigotry still floating around in the country, on both sides.

The problem with things like this is that the antis use it to whip up emotions and, all too often, get badly written, poorly considered laws as a result. Carrying a sidearm is very much like wearing a uniform. Whether you like it or not you represent everyone else in the same situation.

Years ago the California legislature was considering the first "assault weapon" (whatever those are) ban in the country. The bill was stalled and on its way to extinction when some moron used a semi-auto to kill a bunch of kids in a schoolyard, ending by supposedly committing suicide with a 9mm sidearm. It the wake of this the first such ban passed and fathered subsequent bans elsewhere. These bans had zero effect on crime, of course, since they only affected the law-abiding.

I remember thinking at the time that the insane act was oddly fortuitous for the anti-gun fanatics, including the state attorney-general, and that the weapon used for the "suicide" was oddly coincidentally exactly the same used by the CA state police. I found myself wondering if an anti-gun fanatic in high position could be so morally deficient as to rationalize that a few dead kids would be a small price to pay to accomplish a "greater good." My conclusion was that this was not only possible but actually likely.

Make no mistake about it, the enemies of freedom will not only use the most atrocious event to political advantage but are quite capable of setting such an event in motion. Regardless of events elsewhere in the world, there is a cultural war going on here. Some have observed that to win a war you have to be as nasty as your enemy is (one problem being you are likely to end up a damn-sight nastier) but I question that. In the case of cultural war lies are best answered by the truth, not by bigger lies.

Well, Al Sharpton is now involved. Sounds like Tawana Brawley all over again to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Well, Al Sharpton is now involved. Sounds like Tawana Brawley all over again to me.
    Well, If Al Sharpton is taking up for this kid, then I'm going to go on the assumption that he was probably a little gangbanger wannabe and deserved what he got.