Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good advice for bad backs

Default Re: Good advice for bad backs

Moley,

Go and find yourself a DO, A Doctor of Osteopathy, who does OMM. My wife is a DO, they are licensed physicians and surgeons in all 50 states and territories, they go through the same medical school as other physicians, but they have additional training in Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine. They can work wonders, and unlike chiropractors, they actual "fix" you and you will not have to keep going back for the rest of your life for "adjustments".

Wanted to add, if money is an issue (and when isn't it?) you should keep an eye on the Trading Post. There are always pretty good deals on used packs. Most are lightly used and are being sold so the owner can get a bigger or newer Kifaru. Just another option for you.

Take care,
    Last edited by BuckarooMedic; 03-21-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: info
    "Heal with steel"
    Buckaroomedic

"Noli nothis permittere te terere."

Interesting, I was always under the impression that chiropractors and DOs were pretty much the same, but from your description, that is a pretty significant difference! If the exercises and stretching and such (not to mention a new bed) don't clear up the back issues, or maybe even if they do, I'll have to look into finding a good one.

I have been watching the trading post! I saw a few good ones pop up, but I am a little apprehensive buying used since the packs are probably sized better for those of a more normal frame than I.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckarooMedic View Post
    Moley,

Go and find yourself a DO, A Doctor of Osteopathy, who does OMM. My wife is a DO, they are licensed physicians and surgeons in all 50 states and territories, they go through the same medical school as other physicians, but they have additional training in Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine. They can work wonders, and unlike chiropractors, they actual "fix" you and you will not have to keep going back for the rest of your life for "adjustments".

Wanted to add, if money is an issue (and when isn't it?) you should keep an eye on the Trading Post. There are always pretty good deals on used packs. Most are lightly used and are being sold so the owner can get a bigger or newer Kifaru. Just another option for you.

Take care,

My next door (bombshell) neighbor is a chiropractor, acupuncturist and massage therapist. I'm in heaven when I'm on her table. Seriously sweetheart, my back is killing me!

DO's can be awesome, but the same caveat applies to them. Many of them are into some weird shyte too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
    A few thoughts on chiropractors: Every, and I do mean every, person that I know that uses chiropractors says they do wonders. What I have noticed though, is that once they go, the person is "hooked" and has to go frequently to feel even ok. I have been in the military, construction, and millwork professions my entire life, So needless to say, there are times that I feel pretty beat up. Even with this, I refuse to see a chiropractor because I do not want to be subjected to that for the rest of my life when some simple occasional OTC pain meds do the trick. Granted, every person's situation is different, so a chiropractor might be a lifesaver for some people, just not for me.

Ryan
    Now this is just my opinion, chiros have their purpose but most people want them to just crack you up and "whallah!" I'm all fixed. Part of our, take a pill for whatever ails society we're living in. The reason -- in my opinion -- that people keep seeing chiros all the time is because they're not fixing the problem which is an aggravated back for whatever reason, i.e. weaker abdominal muscles, muscle tightness, trauma, etc. They're just getting temporarily relief instead of working to fix the problem -- and it is work and it's not all that fun which in turn makes people cling to the hope that they can pay someone to easily fix them up! So I try not to be all preachy, but when there's something like chronic back pain the only thing I've seen address it successfully (I have experience with all 3):

1. Drugs - but usually temporarily or develop a pain killer habit.
    2. Surgery - if something's broke, docs can fix it sometimes.
    3. Addressing the problem through strength and stretching exercises.

Again, I don't profess to be an expert but I've been a student of all this since I've had back issues that's the way I see it. It's an ongoing thing - there's no "cure". Every now and then I get flare ups (not that kind!) and keep muscle relaxers and pain killers around for that purpose. But, I can say those episodes are far and few between and even rarer now that I focus on the the exercises I know help me in that area.

I am no expert but I have had 2 neurosurgeons, 3 mri, and one operation so I will throw in my 2 cents. The first thing to do is find out what is wrong, exactly. Go to the doctor and keep going until you know what the problem is. The second thing is find out what it takes to fix it from the doctor. Third DO what it takes. In my case I went through the chiro then pt regimen without help. I found out later that even though the chiro "knew" what it was (improper spinal alignment) and could fix it, it wasn't and he didn't. Same with the physical therapist. A neurosurgeon and pictures told the story and an operation did the job. I wish I hadn't wasted a couple of years of pain on the first 2. A large number of back things will correct with just the usual treatments but if they don't relatively soon get checked and get fixed. Once that is done do what it takes to keep it good, exercise, strength training and a health fear of having it again seems to work well.

I kind of like this advice. Find out exactly what problem you have. Most of them will get better, but probably not go away completely, on their own. Remember that you are getting older. Some things have a very specific fix, microsurgically, that requires a 1 inch incision and little healing time. These are good. Most discs will get better; the current surgery is to remove only the herniated portion, and this leaves little pain and most of the disc is still in place to prevent collapse of the interspace. I had a cyst on a facet joint and the surgery was easy. I can't give as good advice as the guy looking at your X-ray, but get several opinions. I don't think manipulation does anything permanent, but if she is cute, it feels good. It also gives you time to heal on your own, so that she gets credit. Not all bad. Good luck.

Thank you all for the excellent advice. I also received outstanding advice from Patrick and Mel as well. This morning, the challenge begins - I ordered a Molle Express in Multicam. Now it's waiting time. I figure, I can take this opportunity to get into a bit better shape so I'll be more prepared to really use the pack when it arrives! Man, I can't wait!