Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tactical Rifle Replacement Parts

Default Re: Tactical Rifle Replacement Parts

Thanks gents,

Good reading thus far. I appreciate the thoughts on what would be your choice of rifle, but I was hoping to get more of a general idea of what replacement parts one would want for an AR type rifle. Big thanks ryanusmc, for your input on the bolt and firing pin. Any one have any other suggestions, or is it too vague to say "AR" type and get specific parts (still learning on semi autos)? Cause specifically, my bro is looking at the SCAR 17S.

Would this be a better post on the Tactical Thread, since this is a civilian model of a rifle that SOCOM just adopted?

Best regards,
    MojoSlim

Quote Originally Posted by ryanusmc View Post
    For me I moved away from the mini14 for the reasons that you cant get good spare parts easily. On to the AK but that had to be sold durring a move to an unfriendly state, but loved that I could buy an entire spare parts kit for cheap. Now im running ARs. I've got a spare bcg/bolt/firing pin and looking to pick up a parts kit that are pretty cheap.

Yes in the past I've been down on the AR, ive learned and changed my mind.
    Yeah, I agree the mini14 is a huge step down from the AR15.

My idea for spare parts runs more towards what I'm going to lose - not necessarily what is going to break. Therefore, I think all those little parts like extractor pins, extractor springs, cam pin, etc. All those little parts are cheap, easily lost, and worthy of keeping a spare or three around.

Yes, a spare bolt (ESP with a carbine) and the other small parts in the bolt carrier. Buy a good trigger (Geissele SOCOM) and keep the original as spare.

Also, buy quality. If your brothers getting a SCAR I doubt he'll ever have a parts breakage. Parts just dont break that much in semi auto fire. In other words, get spares but dont stress out about it IMO.

My AR is a smith&wesson and I'm sure the bcg would be fine, but it was a company demo gun so I replaced it with a spikes full auto carrier and now keep the factory bolt as a spare.

Take-a-knee, is that trigger for the SCAR? or ars in general. If not, what do yoiu recomend for ARs?
    Fire without movement is a waste, movement without fire is suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanusmc View Post
    .... recomend for ARs?
    Single or two stage????? Budget??

Answer those two questions first.

Ryan, for a SHTF working gun/carbine I'd go with the Geissele SOCOM. Mainly because it passed the military's quals. Mine is NICE, 4.5# and clean. It was $170 at Midway. The Rock River NM is a good trigger but the internet buzz is the disconnector pin can fall out but there is an internet fix, basically use a pin long enough so that it is captured by the inside of the reciever so that it can't fall out.

For a 3-gun/match-grade/SPR build the best is an AR Gold. NOTHING else is close. It is spendy ($280) but worth it for the right gun, too light for a "working gun", IMO, though it is adjustable. Feels like a gunsmith slicked-up 1911 trigger.

Thanks, on the list
    Fire without movement is a waste, movement without fire is suicide.