Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sawtooth

Default sawtooth

Hi Im new with some questions I just orderd a sawtooth with a meduim stove it should show up around the first of April. Mid April I will be using it for a grizzly bear hunt with some snow and permafrost will the stakes that come with the tent work in these conditionds or should i look for somthing better.

Default Re: sawtooth

Welcome to Kifaru!

The Sawtooth is a great structure, and I am sure that you will enjoy it as much as I do mine!! If you are looking at "deep" snow, I don't think the dura-pegs will work very well for you. Either a snow stake, a picket, or a SST would be a better choice, IMO. With frozen tundra, they should work decent, as long as you don't hit any rocks. Remember to tie on some twine to help pull them out. I personally have switched out my dura-pegs for 6" & 9" ground hogs, as they seem to slice through roots better. I haven't tried them in frozen tundra yet, but I would guess that they would work just as well.

What part of AK do you hail from?
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

-St. Paul

Im on Eielson AFB we will be hunting around chicken

MT,

I hunt every year on ridge tops not far from Chicken with my 16-man tipi. The short SST pins/pegs are THE ticket for nailing down a Kifaru tipi in dicy soil. Don't overlook the benefit of having at least a few. Good luck chasing grizz!

John

Thanks John

Make sure to take lots of pictures!

SST pins for deep snow and sand tundra.
    40 D penny nails for frozen ground or ice.
    Durapegs or ground hogs pegs for normal conditions!
    The woods are calling and I must go

Hi,

I use snow stakes (Hillebergs and SMC Titanium).

These also work well, and are only $2.50 each. You tie cord between the holes, long enough to bury sideways and then clip your line to them. Pretty slick, and holds as well as a stake in the ground after you bury them, and pack snow on top.

http://www.rei.com/product/358111/smc-sno-tent-stakex

cheers

Hi all

My sawtooth shipped out today so i will have it for the bear hunt, just worked up a good load for my rifle today and as soon as the tent shows up I will seamseal and be on my way.

thanks for the help

Good luck on your hunt.