Thread: Serial Number Lookup

Default Serial Number Lookup

I've happened upon a Winchester Model 70 Super Express with CRF in .375 H&H. Other than the butt-ugly JP Howitzer brake that I'd remove, it is a very handsome rifle that appears to have seen almost no use. These generally aren't shot a lot, but I'll have it bore-sighted nonetheless.

The problem is I can't discern the vintage from the serial number, which is Gxxxxxx.

I'm aware that Model 70's fabricated after 1968 have a "G" in front of seven numbers. But, why only six (6) numbers on this rifle and not seven (7)???

One book I referenced indicated that it was made circa '79. Another online source (oldguns.net) claims it was 1950 if I don't include the "G". Another says it doesn't and can't exist.

Any idea what the vintage is and what, if anything, I ought to be on the lookout for with this rifle?

Thanks in advance,

Allen
    Last edited by Bushcraft; 03-13-2012 at 01:19 PM.

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
    Failing to prepare is, generally speaking, preparing very well to do the wrong thing.
    Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide. - James Brunham
    Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
    Illegitimi non carborundum!

Default Re: Serial Number Lookup

I'm pretty sure they didn't bring a CRF rifle back to the table post '64 until quite recently, like in the 90's? I"m not even sure that New Haven ever did. It may have been after they switched to USRAC that they offered the CRF again. I'd guess it's a pre-64 if it's a New Haven gun. I'm just guessing though, and I have yet to evolve.

The 375 H&H is THE one pre-64 model 70 that I would like to own. It's a caliber than can justify the weight of the old things.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional...r_model_70.htm

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional...ost_64_M70.htm

According to Wisner, the CRF was re-introduced in 1990, after mfg rights had changed over to USRAC.

Your serial number should have one more digit, and it sure shouldn't be a CRF action.

Without the G, it would have been built in 1950.

Maybe it was an experimental firearm used to quell the alien attempts at escaping from the interment compound outside Roswell? The aliens require heavy fire to stop them. Daniel Craig showed us that in "Cowboys and Aliens"
    Last edited by elmbow; 03-13-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks Elmbow.

I finally got through to Winchester's customer service and they ran down the spec's for me.

Answer: Manufactured in 1996 in New Haven CT.

The pre-64's have a certain nostalgic quality to be sure, but my wallet is trying real hard to find fault with this really slick CRF howitzer.

Devolving,

Allen

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
    Failing to prepare is, generally speaking, preparing very well to do the wrong thing.

Bush,

Snap it up. Too meny reasons to own one. What will you use on that brown bear charging out of the alders and crossing the creek? The Cape Buffalo looking at you like you owe him money? The Prairie Dog in full charge at 12 yards and closing...

I bought my 375 in the 80's (not CRF but the P. Dog never got to me) and Prairie Dogs and coyotes are all it's ever taken, it is just too fun to sit unused for long.

Flamingo,

With regard to brown bears crashing through the alders in my direction, I plan on working up to a sustainable diet of habeneros well beforehand since I hear that pepper spray is good at stopping bears in their tracks or at least slowing them down from catching up with me.

Buff's? Well, I suppose I'd really rather start in the .4's with a big brother repeater to the .375 Winnie. Henry Bowman had it about right.

As for the charging prairie dogs? I'm thinking a old school Scorched Earth munition of one form or another.

Allen

gamefairltd.com has some interesting pre-64 model 70's, including a featherweight in .358 winmag.