Thread: Tub fulla smokers

Default Tub fulla smokers

I finally got to go ice fishing with singleshot yesterday. Action wasn't quite as good as we'd have liked, but we did bring home a sink full of fish, macks, kokes, and 'bows:

Ready for the smoker:

It's nice to get to fish with a guy who's got all the gear to make it easier:

Toby got in on the action early:

"Neither sport nor art should be unnecessarily cluttered and complicated."

Default Re: Tub fulla smokers

Looks like a great outing! Wonderful way to spend some time out of the house, thanks for sharing the pics.

Nice job..Our ice is almost history here in Montana. Looking forward to next year already!

How did Toby like the ride on a snowmachine? Some good fishing for a couple of grey beards.

Ride on the snowmachine?? You are joking right, he's a thoroughbred, reminded me of Secretariat running alongside.

We just did a batch of Reds from last summer. Added some fresh ginger to the basic 4:1 dry brine, and it turned out pretty good.

What recipe are you using with your fish?
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

-St. Paul

No real recipe to speak of, I just mix up some brine with Kosher salt, soak overnight, and smoke 'em in the electric smoker at about 150 for three hours, not your classic cold-smoked fish, more barbecued than anything else, they stay nice and moist.

Are using alder?

With salmon, I've messed around with cherry, apple, and mesquite, but now just do strait alder.
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

-St. Paul

Using mostly apple, I've tried most of the commonly-used woods and IMHO hickory is best for beef, pork, and chicken but too strong for fish, same with mesquite. Actually for my tastes mesquite is a little too strong even for red meats. I like alder for fish too, I need to get some more wood so I'll get alder and apple probably.