Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trail Food Question

Default Re: Trail Food Question

Great pictures, Woods Walker!
    All.....The discussion and ideas are appreciated. Plus, I'm learning. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkrambler View Post
    Don't over mix or it will be like brick
    My son and I were just rereading the posts and this one made us laugh because we've had our share of "bricks" during our learning curve! Definitely good advice!

I use rinsed out gatorade bottles. We used to use them in the Marines for liquids we brought in helos because they wont burst due to the air pressure. Same concept applies to mountains and hiking I suppose.

And for old timer type food. I bring corn meal premixed with sugar. Sometimes I'll just eat it as mush, sometimes ill make johnycakes.

This winter Ive been trying a bunch of different quick bread recipes. Just whole wheat flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. My next step is to try and make a loaf with an open fire using my backpacking cookwear
    Fire without movement is a waste, movement without fire is suicide.

Please excuse all grammar and punctuation mistakes. I'm posting from my phone.

Ryan,
    Thanks for the corn meal idea. If you think of it I would like to know how you come along with the quick bread recipes, including the specifics of how much of each ingredient.
    Again, thanks, and good cooking!
    Kevin

So far my go to recipe is about 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup sugar, a pinch of salt, maybe 2 teaspoons of baking powder. A 12 ounce beer or about that in water is mixed in. If its to wet I just add more flour. sometimes I do a 50/50 of corn meal/ flour

It goes great with stew, beans, etc
    Fire without movement is a waste, movement without fire is suicide.

Please excuse all grammar and punctuation mistakes. I'm posting from my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanusmc View Post
    So far my go to recipe is about 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup sugar, a pinch of salt, maybe 2 teaspoons of baking powder. A 12 ounce beer or about that in water is mixed in. If its to wet I just add more flour. sometimes I do a 50/50 of corn meal/ flour

It goes great with stew, beans, etc
    Appreciated, Ryan!
    Can't wait to try it out.
    Last edited by Kevin Hans; 02-20-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Additional thought

I do "Corn dodgers" which is basically just cornmeal and hot water, then plopped in hot oil. (I season mine up with Tony Chachere's, garlic, green chili powder, (or fresh, better) etc.) Goes great with fish. Googling this will get you tons of recipes. John wayne ate them in True Grit, and his horse liked them because of the salt. Also make great thrown targets, if you're not too drunk. Rooster Cogburn just so happened to be right in between "drunk" and "too drunk." I'm not that good with a pistol to be popping off with a .45 at thrown corn muffins though, and if I try to convince anyone otherwise, well, I won't...

This is the same as the Johnny Cakes that Ryan mentioned above. As far as I'm concerned, if John Wayne did it, (even as an actor) it's worth a try just out of respect...
    Last edited by robcollins; 02-21-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Definitely worth a try out of respect to The Duke!

When it comes to bannock I pack the mix dry. Here is the bannock, oil in a Nalgene container, pepperoni and wild scallions found during the trip. This was my New Year’s 2012 meal.

Knowledge of wild edibles makes for better backcountry cookin.
    WARNING DO NOT TOUCH HOT STOVE
    -----SEVERE BURNS MAY RESULT------

Woods Walker.....looks awesome! I agree on knowledge of wild edibles. One year, several years ago, we were surrounded by wild onions, and never knew it. Our dinners suffered because of our ignorance.
    Your knife also caught my eye. What is it?