Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Tipi build?

Default Re: DIY Tipi build?

I have too many irons in the fire right now but have been looking at doing something similar for awhile now and found two other options to consider:
    Zpacks sources the cuben fiber material in different weights and also has a cf/nylon laminate.
    http://www.zpacks.com/materials.shtml
    The tan is a lighter khaki color. If you drop him a line, he will send you some small samples
    Rockywoods has a 210d double ripstop that would weigh a bit more, but I think the durabilty would be awesome. It is only available in the sand/light khaki color
    http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Ki...lewall-Ripstop
    I think either of these options would be easier to sew than the more slippery silnylon.

Scott- We need pics!!
    How was the CF to sew ? Did you also tape ?
    Last edited by firecog; 02-16-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelllingg
    "Pleasure ?" I said. "I don't understand the question."
    I didn't do it for pleasure. I did it for pain.
    -Lance Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by mark s View Post
    Hey Scott,

Isn't cuben fabric essentially plastic? Have you tested what a flame or an ember will do to it? Hate to see a member go up in flames so to speak. It looks like real interesting material, but I thought a main reason for the silnylon was that it basically doesn't burn.
    Yes, it is a plastic, but so is nylon (the nylon part of silnylon). They both melt/burn. I have not tested it, but there are others who have built stove jack-equipped shelters using cuben fiber. I'll find out for myself soon!

Quote Originally Posted by elmbow View Post
    IIRC Cuben has no stretch, making it more problematic in the tearing dept. when it comes to standing up to strong winds.[/url]
    Yes, it does not stretch much because it is not a woven material. It's also waterproof without a coating (like silnylon), which contributes to the lower weight. The lack of stretch makes it easy to work with (waaaay easier to work with than silnylon), but pitching is more troublesome because it's either slack or taut - there's no in-between. All tie-out points were reinforced with a heavier-weight cuben fiber material, and the two layers are adhesive-bonded and sewn. It's my hope that this will make up for the lack of "give" in the material, but as I said in my original post, this is a prototype that I will be testing close to home before taking it on a remote hunt this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by firecog View Post
    How was the CF to sew? Did you also tape?
    All load-bearing seams were primed, adhesive tape was put down, and then they were sewn. It was easy to work with. It folds like paper, so french seams and edges were simple to do. Also, tape (and super-glue!) sticks to it, unlike silnylon, which makes it easy to sew pieces together. I didn't account for the non-stretchability in my patterning, so when I set it up for the first time, it turned out smaller than I expected (silnylon stretches enough that a tarp is noticeably larger when pitched).

Quote Originally Posted by firecog View Post
    Scott- We need pics!!?
    OK, here you go. I call this the PseuperTarp. This was taken before it was completed. Since the photo was taken, I reinforced the tie-outs, added velcro for the door closure, and installed the stove jack (in the main portion, rather than in the annex). For reference, the main pole is 48" tall and the smaller pole is 24" tall. This thing weighs a mere 13.3 oz in it's finished (but not seam-sealed) form:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very nice!!
    "Pleasure ?" I said. "I don't understand the question."
    I didn't do it for pleasure. I did it for pain.
    -Lance Armstrong

Nice !!!!! Same shape as my ID silnyl tarp. Really nice work!

Scott, thanks for sharing your tarp project and giving your advice. I was planning on compensating my Neighbor for his time, however if it takes 30 hours labor plus materials, I would come out cheaper buying a new Kifaru from the start. Anyway, most likely I will start with a cheap material for a practice prototype and have him help me to learn to sew it myself. That way if i am up for the task i can do a majority of the seam work myself and hire him to do some of the more difficult seaming.

This place has multiple weights of cuben fiber, as well as varying line that would work well for tieouts (2mm glow in the dark 225lb test and 2mm orange with 1000lb test, ensuring that the clumsy oaf who trips over it will rip it completely out of the tent)
    http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Products-c125/

Quote Originally Posted by BoykinPup View Post
    Scott, thanks for sharing your tarp project and giving your advice. I was planning on compensating my Neighbor for his time, however if it takes 30 hours labor plus materials, I would come out cheaper buying a new Kifaru from the start. Anyway, most likely I will start with a cheap material for a practice prototype and have him help me to learn to sew it myself. That way if i am up for the task i can do a majority of the seam work myself and hire him to do some of the more difficult seaming.
    BoykinPup:

You're welcome. Learning to sew is the way to go. It's not terribly difficult, as long as you have patience. Good luck with your project!

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by robcollins View Post
    This place has multiple weights of cuben fiber, as well as varying line that would work well for tieouts (2mm glow in the dark 225lb test and 2mm orange with 1000lb test, ensuring that the clumsy oaf who trips over it will rip it completely out of the tent)
    http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Products-c125/
    robcollins:

That's the source of my cuben fiber. Lawson is a good guy. I've purchased other things from him over the years. He's active over at BPL forums. His prices on cuben are the cheapest around, but only because he's closing out his materials. He used to make and sell tarps, but decided to get out of that business (I can see why - it's a lot of work!). If you're looking for cuben fiber, he's the guy to buy it from, until it's gone. I used the lighter-weight yellow for the tarp and the heavier-weight grey for the reinforcements.

Scott

In regards to the O.P.'s question, Tyvek is another option for a fabric material that is significantly better cost wise than the other fabrics allready mentioned. While I wouldn't recommend it as the be all end all fabric, it would work quite well as either a prototype material or as a disposable material (ie, plan on getting one season out of it).
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

-St. Paul

I agree with Tyvek. Top quality material can, as posts above show, be VERY expensive.