Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2012 ecr

Default Re: 2012 ecr

I'd like to show you how artillery works but although I have some friends at Fort Sill (Oklahoma) I don't know anyone at Drum anymore. (Fort Drum is the only army post east of the Mississippi with a range capable of handling anything larger than the 105mm.) For reasons I don't understand the 8" has been retired but the 155mm is pretty good. Besides, the 8" needs a 20-man crew to service it. I have a model of the 8" that is quite detailed. It's been more than 40 years since the last time I fired an 8" but I am always surprised at how much I remember about it. I guess there are some things you don't forget.

As long as you are within range you can put more iron on target, faster and cheaper with field artillery than any other method. If you need a big bang you run a TOT (Time-On-Target) mission. This is where the guns are fired so that the impact is identical. A battalion TOT is VERY impressive and during WWII as many as 40 battalions fired - that's more than 900 rounds of high explosive in one big bang within less than 100 yards. Air bursts would put a shell fragment about every 6".
    Last edited by Ralph; 03-10-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Ralph, I seem to remember you saying that you were a member of the Cherry Ridge Rifle & Pistol Association.
    Well. I upgraded my ANJRPC Life Membership to Life Range use today! I'm sure you haven't been there in a while and it wouldn't look the same. But think you would be very pleased with what it has devolped into....It is an awesome Rifle & Pistol Club! It is not only a very active club but they now have their own lobby and are NRA's right arm in our state. Both CJRPC and ANJRPC have become a strong voice in our state! ANJRPC was one of four groups who were directly involved in the Heller vs D.C. Supreme Court case. Took the safety course/seminar this morning and did some shooting with a good friend who has been a Life Member for many years! They have 6 ranges total. A .22 range, shotgun, pistol, medium & long range rifle and archery range. I was very impressed with the scenery! It looks like something you would expect in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado with a nice stream and small lake on the property! It looks like some of the original cabins are still in the woods to admire. New range rules though.... You have to cease fire if a bear decides it wants to walk through the area, the deer are now firearms qualified and will walk right through a major shooting competetion with not a care in the world about the noise. They have learned the shooting stops when they arrive and they're safe to do as they please but will vansih if you approach them. Beware of the rattlesnakes!

FWIW, Took the Kimber 1911 to my other range early in the week to see why it had trouble feeding at the ECR. Found out the new Kim-Pro 8 round Mag wasn't the problem and neither was the cold. It was had too much lube/grease in the slide. Disassembled, cleaned and re-lubricated it with the Shooters Choice FP-10 oil that it was supplied with. Works great!!! Lesson learned....don't over-lube a 1911 (semi-auto). I knew better but that's how it goes sometimes and need a reminder once in a while....

Ken's/Mugga Pines 100 yard gong is giving me a new interest in long range handgun metallic silhouette shooting!
    Think the .41, .45 LC and .44 Mag would work perfect and a lot of fun!!!
    Good hunting, be safe and enjoy your back-country adventures!
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    United Bowhunters of N.J. Life Member
    Trout Unlimited Life Member
    www.triggerthevote.org
    http://www.nranews.com
    http://www.ussportsmen.org
    CJRPC & ANJRPC Life Member

"If your not working to protect hunting/AMERICA, Then you are working to destroy it"

-Fred Bear

It was a good range when I was there. That is in the snow belt area - one of those little surprises NJ offers. I was born in NJ, and gre up there. Too bad it has become so leftist and supidly restrictive. (My grandfather served in the Es*** county and state legislatures for good many years and he must be rolling in his grave. Grandpa reformed a lot of the political abuses when he was in office and is responsible for the fact that government cars have id on the door (a lot of officials were notorious for using government cars for personal use).

I'm glad you have such a good facility available to you.

The deer are a bit odd. We used to have herds of mule deer happily bouncing around the artillery impact area at Ft. Sill, so common that we wouldn't suspend fire. Every so often one would get hit but that never seemed to discourage them. Since it was federal land the local game laws didn't apply.

As the ANJRPC said;

"They took our Rights away one brick at a time."

"We're putting them back in place one brick at a time!"

You can be very proud of your range!

They're doing great!!!
    www.triggerthevote.org

"If your not working to protect hunting/AMERICA, Then you are working to destroy it"

-Fred Bear

Just got my new cap, and a very nice one it is, thanks, Patrick.

+1....thanks to all out in Co.
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities.” -Nessmuk

I also got an ECR hat. Thanks Patrick.
    WARNING DO NOT TOUCH HOT STOVE
    -----SEVERE BURNS MAY RESULT------

Returning back from the NRA 2012 Annual Meeting in St. Louis MO....
    ....to find another Kifaru 2012 NE Rendezvous hat that arrived in the mail!

It is a reminder of another year of great memories!

A unique campfire like no other....

A comradeship of good like-minded people who share and appreciate common interest.

And enjoy the great outdoors in America and all that it offers.

Thank you for sharing those memories and all those who gathered together to make this happen.

Thank you Patrick, your Family and the entire Kifaru staff who make this happen!

Thank you ALL from Kifaru for your ALL your great work, craftsmanship, pride and products!

And Thank You Ken, Johnny and your Families for bringing us ALL together!

My hat is off to ALL of you....

God Bless
    www.triggerthevote.org

-Fred Bear

Just got my hat today, thanks Kifaru!!!