Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Beast Mode Training & Hunting

Default Re: Beast Mode Training & Hunting

...trophy hunting threatened this way of life.
    Sorry, but I'm going to have to call bull**** on that one. Trophy hunting did not almost starve your family.

I gather from some of your recent posts that you and your family have been through some very trying times of late, and for that I am sorry and empathetic. I can't imagine how frustrated, angry and bitter I'd feel if we had to let up our dirt that was settled many generations ago. As you may or may not know, I spent a fair amount of my youth working (child slave labor) on the ranch putting up hay, riding colts, feeding, irrigating, etc. and come from many generations of agrarians. It's in my blood so to speak and I plan to eventually return one day to that way of life. And there is no denying that it's a tough life, but it is a life choice like any other. My grandfather was one of the last real cowboys. He was slow to adopt new, more efficient ways of doing things and was, admittedly, a poor businessman. If not for a family intervention of sorts (an aggregate better choice if you will), we would have surely lost it to creditors when beef prices where in the crapper a few decades ago. And I don't mean to callous or insinuate anything, but in my experience, those that harbor romanticized notions that operating a farm or ranch is anything more than just a business that should be run like a business, typically don't get to keep the dirt in the family name for very long. Just because farmers and ranchers perform hard manual labor doesn't mean that they are somehow removed from the responsibility of having to make good business decisions.

As for killing only what you eat, I'd urge you to seek a better understanding of where a huge amount of "excess" meat goes if it isn't given to family and friends who appreciate it and/or to charitable organizations that help feed people that are in a bind.

I like these type of people more than I do trophy hunters.
    I'm curious as to what you consider, and how you define, "trophy hunting". I'm also curious as to why you abhor the generally accepted game management practice of selectively harvesting older animals that are at or beyond their peak years?

And so we're clear, to my way of thinking, a trophy is merely the physical manifestation and evidence of a very special achievement that demanded a fair amount of effort and skill. Someone's cow elk that they busted their butt for...trophy. A 10 inch Golden trout caught on a homemade fly after a brutal 15 mile hike...trophy. Any African critter you had to put the sneak on without spooking it and every other living critter around you that instinctively is always on the lookout for predators...trophy. Etc., etc., etc. I can appreciate inches of skull/hide/tooth/tusk/antler/horn as much as the next guy, but they are largely irrelevant to me if zero skill, luck or passion were involved. While I can appreciate the genetics and craftiness of a large-bodied, mature free-range mule deer that was able to grow a 200+ inch rack, I have zero appreciation for the drunk bastard that lucked out and shot it on someone else's private property off the hood of his truck after randomnly blowing holes in it after shooting an entire box of ammo through his new bore sighted rifle. On that I think, and hope, we can agree.

And, as I'm sure you noticed, Cameron ain't shooting 500" elk or 300" whitetails over feed troughs in small enclosures. That is not at all what he is about. Sure, he's taken some really nice animals. Anyone that hunts as much as he does, and as hard as he does, is bound to kill some dandies. But most of his stuff is pretty average when it comes to the measurements, but they are all trophies nonetheless. He's a hardcore, DIYer that is consistently successful.

And yes. He is most certainly a badass. People like him have the ability to motivate and challenge others to strive for more out of themselves and to do better. I'd challenge you to try and keep up with him, in just his average every day work and family life, for a week. Then try and do the same in the hills on a remote wilderness backpack hunt for a week. After having done so, if you could, I think you'd have a profoundly different view of the man and what you yourself could aspire to achieve with your own life.

Regards,

Allen

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
    Failing to prepare is, generally speaking, preparing very well to do the wrong thing.
    Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide. - James Brunham
    Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
    Illegitimi non carborundum!

Quote Originally Posted by sreekers View Post
    success though is not measured in strictly the number of animals i kill, or how big they are. It's measured for me by the time spent with close friends, the things i learn, the challenges we work through, and the thrill of being in the backcountry. If staying in shape helps me do that longer, so be it.
    e x a c t l y

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
    Failing to prepare is, generally speaking, preparing very well to do the wrong thing.
    Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide. - James Brunham
    Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
    Illegitimi non carborundum!

If that guy is not the definition of super inflated ego, I dont know who is. I am no uber athlete, but doing 135# power cleans three times then breathing like your preparing for Mike Tyson to take a free punch at you, is not very "beast mode."

Killing for sport is wrong. Suggesting that more people, hunters or not, get in better shape, however is good.

FWIW, if your thinking of getting all "beast", you dont need to waste your time running a million miles. Im following this website and it is doing more to my body than puberty ever did.
    http://www.crossfitendurance.com/

Check out their FAQ as to why long slow distance running is a waste of time
    http://www.crossfitendurance.com/faq

I admire that fact that Hanes works his butt off doing something he obviously loves, and makes a living at it. You could say I'm envious of that part of his lifestyle.

I don't pay attention to his workout regimen because I don't need to train like he does--I know what's right for me. Anyone who gets into a workout program needs to determine what's right for them and not just take advice from or model their own workout after someone who knows nothing of their personal situation.

Reading about the hunts he goes on and the lengths he pushes himself to is something of an inspiration if only because it illustrates what's possible--not that I'd do a 10-mile one-way hike after midnight myself.

I have mixed feelings on the whole "TV Hunting Personality" concept. I kind of agree with Big W--even though I admire Hanes on one level for his accomplishments and I'm a little envious, I think hunters and hunting would be better off with fewer TV personalities of any stripe. Because we all know that what sells on TV is pretty much the lowest common denominator, no matter the subject.
    "Neither sport nor art should be unnecessarily cluttered and complicated."

If you go hunting and you don't kill an animal. You are unsucessful. End of story.
    Build a man a fire and he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed C View Post
    If you go hunting and you don't kill an animal. You are unsucessful. End of story.
    No matter what we tell ourselves after an unsuccessful hunt this is pretty right on. We certainly don't need to target specific seasons, put in for tags, and wear camo to enjoy the splendor of the outdoors with our family and friends. As my hunting partner says, if we're not hunting, we might as well just be walking in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed C View Post
    Oh, I don't know Ed. Taking a piss off a cliff at timberline & laughing your ass off with friends back a camp pretty means a day pretty well spent to me.

Any time spent chasing critters beats time spent chasing $'s for me.
    The first essential for advancement in knowledge is for men to be willing to say, "We do not know". - Francis Bacon

I like his message. Live it, do it, breath it. Some may not want to go this route. He even states in his book it is not neccesary to be successful. I don't have a problem that he wants to take this approach. I have been moving in his direction, but at 49 years I will have to temper my approach for me. No reason to knock it. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim N View Post
    Oh, I don't know Ed. Taking a piss off a cliff at timberline & laughing your ass off with friends back a camp pretty means a day pretty well spent to me.

Any time spent chasing critters beats time spent chasing $'s for me.
    That's exactly what it is Jim time well spent, it is not success.
    Build a man a fire and he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

i have to say i agree with the philosophy of the video. and keep my self in good shape year round as i like to go deep and well of the beaten path come September.with a full time job a wife and 4 daughters i dont have quit the luxury of training 14 hours a day because im a sponsored hunter but i do what i can and have a physical job.nothing wrong with taking care of your self and training for what you love.this video however reads pretty high on the douchebag meter,my 2 cents