Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internal Frame or External Frame: MMR vs NICE

Default Internal Frame or External Frame: MMR vs NICE

Hey everyone, need some of y'alls feedback.

My 1st gen Xray has served me well overseas, but I need another pack. My opinion on the Xray is that its a great pack, but a little short for my long torso. Although I'm only 5'8, carrying heavy loads with it overseas was not fun since I had a hard time getting the weight to stay on my hips. I'm thinking that a taller pack is the solution, such as the Molle Express or Zulu. My thought process is that the 21" stays in the Express/Zulu will help the pack fit better than the 17" stays in my current Xray. I'm leaning towards the Express since it's smaller and I like to pack light.

I'm also thinking that I might be better off with an external frame. If an external frame is the answer, does anyone have experience with both MR (Mystery Ranch) NICE frames and the Kifaru MMR frame? I personally would like to stay internal frame to keep weight down to a minimum, but nothing beats an external rucksack frame when it comes to fit IMO. If the answer is external, I'm leaning towards the MR NICE frame, but I don't have personal experience with either the Kifaru MMR or MR NICE frame to make an educated choice.

I wish I had these packs at a local store so I could load them up with sandbags and feel which one is the best. It's too expensive and time consuming to buy a pack only to find it doesn't fit right. Hopefully some of you knowledgeable veterans can help me out. Appreciate your time and input in advance.

Respectfully,
    Frog.

Default Re: Internal Frame or External Frame: MMR vs NICE

So I've spent the last few hours researching different packs from MR and Kifaru ... and I am completely blown away with the MMR frame.

I had no idea how versatile the MMR frame is compared to its competitor from Mystery Ranch. (http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthre...lex-Frame-Pics!!)

I will still appreciate any input anyone has to say, but as of now, I think I'm going to get an MMR frame + Cargo Panel + various pockets. I don't like the idea of having the frame permanently attached to the cargo panel, so I'm going to have to get them separately. This setup will allow me to have the external frame I want and still cut down on weight by only adding the pockets I need. Thanks Kifaru!

I got the EMR frame to go with my Longhunter guide, but also have a medium pod, an E&E, and two long pockets. I have more different ways of arranging my frame than I could ever imagine or want. Still not sure what I want to do about my top lid, but i will get that sorted out here very soon.

I like my mollex, but i don' like it when it gets heavy. I'm a pretty tall guy, and I have heard that it can sway a bit side to side if there is too much weight, or too many pockets. If I were looking for something to take on a little bit longer hikes the zulu would be it.

I picked Kifaru over MR for several reasons, and one of them was the same thing you saw in the versatility. Based on some pictures I have seen, I think with a little bit of work MR bags seem to work on MMR frames.

Thanks for your insightful response.

Your setup sounds great, I would like to do something similar. For a 5'8 guy such as myself, do you think the EMR frame (26" stays) is too big for me? I wouldn't mind the extra 2" of real estate the EMR frame gives over the MMR frame, but I'm afraid it may be too tall for me.

What is leaning me towards Kifaru more than MR has absolutely everything to do with versatility. One thing I don't like about MR packs is that there isn't as much molle webbing as I would like.

I think with the MMR frame, E&E back pouch, med pod, LP pockets and the cargo panel, I'll have enough options for almost any situation.

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    I don't like the idea of having the frame permanently attached to the cargo panel, so I'm going to have to get them separately. This setup will allow me to have the external frame I want and still cut down on weight by only adding the pockets I need. Thanks Kifaru!
    I may be wrong, but I believe even with the "dedicated" MMR Cargo Hauler the cargo panel can be removed from the frame.

West Coast USA, staying close to home... for now.

Any reason you haven't considered the Armor Grip (MMR-size with the capability of wear over armor). with either the MMR, AG1 or AG2 bag?

If you don't forsee carrying a pack over armor disregard...
    __________________________________________________ _________
    No like, no buy. Because 'merica. And thanks for reducing our wait time.

Frog,

To help get your hands on the Kifaru packs you are looking at I would suggest trying this:

1. Call Kifaru and see if they can give you the name of someone in your area who has the pack(s) you are interested in, or if they would pass your contact information and request on to them for you.

2. Check out the Rendezvous forum (http://www.kifaruforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17) and look for the NW rendezvous for 2012 or others in areas you would be willing to drive/fly to. They are a lot of fun and you will be able to see a wide range of different Kifaru packs and pockets in use.

Hope this helps,

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by straps View Post
    Any reason you haven't considered the Armor Grip (MMR-size with the capability of wear over armor). with either the MMR, AG1 or AG2 bag?

If you don't forsee carrying a pack over armor disregard...
    Unfortunately, I don't see myself ever carrying a pack over armor again. I've kind of changed career paths.

Thanks for the suggestion Larry, I'll see what I can find.

I have traveled down the same similar decision path that you are on. And, Based on my personal experience with both the MR and Kifaru line- I am a big fan of the duplex frame (either MMR or EMR) - I have the MMR. I just sold my MR nice frame and am only keeping a MR bag to go on the MMR I bought. I also bought a cargo panel to go with the MMR. The cargo panel is great- but also what is nice is all of the hardware that comes with it to allows a variety of different non- Kifaru bags to work with it (the MMR). The cargo panel can be used or not used with the MMR.

I feel that not only is the MMR, compared to the MR Nice frame, more versatile- it also carries a load better and is more comfortable since it does curve with your back. The Nice frame has NO curvature whatsoever to its frame, it is just a straight center stay bar with straight horizontal cross bars. It did not fit my athletic normally curved spine very well at all, even though I tried to make it work for 2-3 years. I like the modular type set up that the Nice frame affords, but the Kifaru to me still has that versatility in a more comfortable package that is lighter (esp. with the carbon stays) and more versatile and with longer stays for more wt. carry comfort.

BTW- I also am 5'8" (with a 18-18.5 torso) and the MMR fits me great. If I was much taller, or had a taller torso I might have gone with the EMR- but I saw no need to go quite that tall.

Any ?'s feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss further.

Thanks for your input Stephen.

I think I'll go with the MMR, we seem to be the same dimensions and build so I think the MMR will work nicely. I sent you a PM.