Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Koala Lite!!

Default New Koala Lite!!

Hey guys,

We wanted to give our message board members first peek at the new Koala Lite we will be introducing at SHOT Show. This is a pre-production prototype that is 95% complete, with only some fine tuning before going into production. The price has not been set yet, but should be available when we get back from the show.

We have had lots of requests for a lighter and simpler Koala without all the PALS webbing, so we began working on a solution to meet those requirements. I think you'll like what we came up with. The Koala Lite is made with 500d Cordura, and as you can see, there is no PALS webbing. We took a different approach with the ability to change out front pockets, keeping with our modularity theme. The foundation of the Koala Lite is the pistol compartment, which is the same size as on our Koala, but without the slot pocket. We kept the padding and still believe the Velcro backing for a holster is a better solution for keeping the handgun secure.

We will initially have 3 front pocket options for the Koala Lite. In the photos you will see our Flat Front Pocket, and it uses a modified Lock n Load attachment system that is very secure, yet simple to use. Check out the angled attachment points in all 4 corners along with one in the center at the top. Janice is bringing the other 2 pockets to the SHOT Show. They are a flat PALS panel that allows you to use any multitude of MOLLE pouches on the front of the Koala Lite, and a 2" deep pocket with slot pockets, elastic, and a Chamber pocket on the inside. An Organizer pocket is planned for the future.

Instead of using compression straps, we decided to go with a bungee system, allowing you to keep items secure in the pockets and/or to lash something under the bungee, such as a windshirt or such. The cool thing about the bungee is that if you choose not to use it, you do not have to remove it, just attach any of the pockets over the top. You can also use the bungee without any pockets on the Koala Lite.

In one of the pics you will see our Handwarmer mounted on the Koala Lite. This wasn't by design, but just pure luck that it happened to fit .

I went down and got some weights on the post office scale for you. Our standard Koala with X-Harness and Waist strap weighs 2 lbs 3.5 oz. The Koala Lite with X-Harness and Waist strap and the Flat Front Pocket weighs 1 lb 2.8 oz, fully a pound lighter. Without the front pocket, the Koala Lite weighed 1 lb even.

Now for the pics. The first one shows the Koala Lite with the Flat Front Pocket.

Name:  Koala Lite with Flat Pocket.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  278.3 KB

This next one is an angled view.

Name:  Koala Lite Angle View with Flat Pocket.jpg
Views: 2210
Size:  271.4 KB

The last one is the back of the flat pocket.

Name:  Back of Koala Lite Flat Pocket.jpg
Views: 1963
Size:  270.1 KB

More pics coming in the next post.

Mel

Default Re: New Koala Lite!!

This photo shows the Flat Front Pocket open.

Name:  Koala Lite Flat Pocket Open.jpg
Views: 2047
Size:  289.1 KB

This next one shows the front of the Koala Lite without a pocket.

Name:  Koala Lite Front No Pocket.jpg
Views: 1905
Size:  271.4 KB

This last one shows the back of the Koala Lite.

Name:  Koala Lite Back.jpg
Views: 2038
Size:  280.4 KB

Mel

This pic shows the Koala Lite open.

Name:  Koala Lite Open Pistol Compartment.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  256.0 KB

This final pics shows the Handwarmer on the Koala Lite.

Name:  Handwarmer on Koala Lite.jpg
Views: 1847
Size:  254.3 KB

That's it for now guys, hope you enjoyed.

Mel

Hey guys,

Here's a pic of the PALS Panel and 2" deep pocket for the Koala Lite. This was taken with Patrick's I-phone at the shop and the pockets are a little compressed horizonatally in the photo, but I think you get the idea.

Name:  Koala Lite Panel 2.jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  37.6 KB

Mel

WOW,,,,,,,,,,perfect timing for me as I have been trying to decide between a regular Koala and a G-2 Malice Claymore to use as my "manpurse". Really wanted something thinner but with some org options (but bigger than an Organizer).
    Showed the pics to my wife and now she wants one instead of just the Organizer I was about to order for her.
    Looks super.
    Please keep us posted with the progress and availability of this project.
    We're ready.

Thanks,,,
    Dave

pm--I can already tell that I'm going to have to have one of each. At times such a curse to be able to sit and look back and forth at all the remarkable products this company has to offer.

Very cool. IMHO, this is the right development trajectory for an already great product.

Hey guys,

Here is another I-phone pic the shop sent me of the 2" deep pocket open showing the internal slot pockets, elastic loops, and it will come with a Chamber pocket on those common loops on the opposite side of the slot pockets.

Name:  Koala Lite Dimensional 2.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  42.0 KB

Mel

Pretty sweet.

better not be coming out the G3 packs, I just ordered my G2 a month ago...

Hey Mel, that's looking awesome. The regular koala looked to be a little too large for my needs. This version looks to be what I was looking for. I'm looking forward to the video on Kifaru tube!

Love the modularity. I already have plans for a homemade L+L fleece front panel to keep things quiet while bowhunting. Any way to attach the handwarmer to the back/underneath of the koala-L?