Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KU Folding Chair

Hybrid View

Default KU Folding Chair

https://kifaru.net/campchairs.html

So glad it come out finally but the price really scared me.

I don't get it, why so expensive?

Default Re: KU Folding Chair

Wow, that showed up without an annoucement. Wolfmen, glad you found it. I too am taken aback a bit by the price. I'm not sure where it's coming from. Any comments Patrick? BTW, it sure looks nice but yowza on the $

BTW #2 - love the photo by Sawtooth on the Camp chair page.
    Last edited by Vernon; 01-12-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    "Wild country has the power to remind civilized people that out there is a different world, older and greater and deeper by far than ours, a world which surrounds and sustains the little world of men." - Edward Abbey

Hello there wofmen, Vernon. I'll address the price for you.

Fistly, this is a pupose-built TOOL just for us backcountry hunters/wanderers who get around on foot. It is NOT an offshore mass produced Walmart chair. And I think that category of "chair" has jaundiced our expectations.

Instead, the KU Chair was built specifically for "us". A sturdy long lived tool that was light enough, strong enough, compact enough, durable enough, and very comfortable. The market for guys like us is not the same as the car camping market. Again, I set out to design a tool as important as our boots and sleeping bags and packs. This is just as precisely engineered--and takes our very best sewers and craftsfolk to produce. It would have been much easier to have the back be an extension of the seat legs--infinitely easier--but that would have made for too much weight and bulk. Instead the backrest is contructed of carbon fiber arrow shafts and has to be sewn with exact presision to brace against the seat metal "just so" or it will sag too low and/or fall over backwards when you lean back. The precision is like a Swiss watch, and the materials are mountaineering grade as well: our own tipi/KU Pack fabric. Padding. Carbon fiber. Aircraft aluminum. Stainless steel leg pins (which are removable should either the seat or the legs ever need replacement). High quality and durable crutch feet instead of plastic leg caps (which last about a week). Fold-away braces to keep the backrest upright yet weigh so little they are worth carrying. All of this attention to the details of producing a first-ever normal height and comfortable backcountry chair just for our niche market took a ton of R&D effort and time.

But the outcome is a comfy truly off-the-ground chair us guys WILL carry, and rejoice in the contribution to our effectiveness in the field it provides. It is the device I've wanted for a very long time. I had to build it myself, as I often do. It costs about the same as a decent pair of boots, yet will last far longer and is just about as useful. It's the real deal, and can't be compared to any other category of "chair". I blanched at the price when we finally computed it, but decided there was nothing I personally would "detune" to get the price down--the package we developed is exactly what I needed, and as you fellows actually use it I'm betting you'll agree.

Anyway, those are the facts behind our new fold-up chair. I hope this explains the cost, and perhaps directs your thoughts to how seriously useful owning one is. A very comfortable real-deal chair that's worth its weight to carry on foot can change your backcountry life.

Patrick,

Thank you for your timely response to our questions. I take it from your post that the legs are specially made (in the US?) by a piping bender or some such craftsman or company and not just the repurposing of a cheap Coleman or Stansport stool. That explains a good bit as does the thought and R&D behind the product. I will have to wait a bit on this one and see the field reports. Thanks again.
    "Wild country has the power to remind civilized people that out there is a different world, older and greater and deeper by far than ours, a world which surrounds and sustains the little world of men." - Edward Abbey

It's essentially a crazy creek with folding legs. Here's how I see it breaking down:

Crazy Creek made abroad: $50
    Make it in the US: + $40
    Add folding legs: + $30
    Add extra structural elements to CC to account for folding legs: + $30
    Make it with higher tech materials, including carbon fiber: + $20

Ok... so I just put each of these line items out as nothing more than educated guesses without thinking about what the total would be. Turns out I come up with $170. Passes my sanity check as a reasonable price for this product, given the comparables. Looks comfy too!
    We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

I too was blown away by the price (but not to deterrence). I’ve got an ancient Crazy Creek chair that has been a boon companion for a very long time, providing a bit of luxury where there was precious little. But a chair elevates it to another plane. Trying to replicate what Patrick has done resulted in a poor substitute at best. He explained it to me in detail one evening and his statement regarding Swiss Watch precision is no joke. It’s easy to keep metallic objects bolted, forged or bent in place, but when you combine them with fabric, padding and assorted accoutrements it becomes another problem altogether. The line between function and failure is fine indeed. Now to break the news to the CFO…

I had this coversation with Patrick years ago. That the only thing I miss in the backcountry is a chair. How back support is important so you are not collapsing on your spine. Patrick brought up the point of not going all the way to the ground every time you sit down. I have spent many an evening sitting on cargo chair with longhunter. I put the cargo chair on my express for this very reason. Needing my Chiropractor when I'm 12 miles in sure puts a damper on a hunt.I have waited on this for a long time. I'll be sitting on mine soon. Thanks Patrick.
    Last edited by Ed C; 01-12-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: to add back flip
    Build a man a fire and he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

evanhill: Ya sold me on one. phil
    none

What happened to the picture of the chair online? The pic of Patrick? hiking w/ the chair on his pack is still there but the chair pic is gone.

Hi Mr. Patrick, thank you for your response. Love to see more pictures and review from others.

Vernon, I know this news from kifaru 's Facebook and I downloaded the pic of the chair. Here you are.