Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado Winter Rondy 2012

Default Re: Colorado Winter Rondy 2012

I have found good stuff at Paul's meeting place as well, can't wait to see you all again, firewood gone might provide some longer distance plinking for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by singleshot View Post
    I found both my skis and boots at a second hand store in Dillon. There is also a store in Frisco. For some reason Sawtooth always wants to meet up in front of the store in Dillon and he's always early.
    There are some really great thrift stores in Dillon. I like this one store that's a cross between a video rental store and an army surplus/survival store. Plus the best breakfast in Summit county is at the Arapahoe cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by singleshot View Post
    I found both my skis and boots at a second hand store in Dillon. There is also a store in Frisco. For some reason Sawtooth always wants to meet up in front of the store in Dillon and he's always early.
    That's because there's a cool coffee shop next door. You can often find me lounging on the ratty couch in the back room, reading the second hand books that always seem to be stacked back there. You don't even have to pull off your snow boots to prop your feet on the coffee table. It's that nasty. My kind of place. Oh, and the thrift store is pretty cool too!
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com
    http://fishrigs.com/

I am looking to upgrade to a Splitting Axe. Anyone have any experiance with Estwing Fireside Friend? The all steel handle looks bombproof. Would it be better to go Wetterling or Grandfors Bruks. The wood handle would dampen the blow. Looking for quality/bang for buck. I want to buy the right tool the first time.

Swedish steel and wood handles for me. Yes, it costs a LOT more than the Eastwing. Quality and bang for buck=Wetterlings. Quality if price is no object=GB. Just my .02 worth.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala

www.tenkaratracks.com

Dang Saw, break a brutha's bank why dontcha!

I'm this close to buying a GB splitting axe/maul. Curious what you're using to split wood in the winter? Since we're smaller guys, I'd guess we would lose some advantage with very heavy mauls. I'm trying to decide between the Small or Large Splitting Axe from GB or Wetterlings. In conjunction with a Fast Bucksaw or NWwoodsman Bucksaw, I'd imagine I'd have a formidable pair for feeding a stove or fireplace.

Best,
    MojoSlim

I am leaning towards a GB large Splitting Axe. Any particular vendors you have in mind? Any thing local? I think a 30" Fast Bucksaw is in the works as well. Paul are you using the GB Lg Splitting Axe?
    I wonder about a group buy on these items...........

RandallH,

I was going to get a wetterling's forest axe, Ben at www.bensbackwoods.com - where I was going to buy it, strongly suggested I look at the Bacho line. Not as pretty, but he says of the three, GB, Wetterlings, and Bahco at his disposal that's what he takes into the woods, and the price is great. So I have this but I have yet to field test it. http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=674 I plan on giving it a good test in 2 weeks. I really wanted the Wetterlings but... I figured for the price I couldn't go wrong. I found a nice leather sheath for it and I'm ready to go. Just one more thing to consider. I found Ben to be great to deal with and wouldn't hesitate ordering your axe from him if that was the way you wanted to go.

Also, to those talking Fast Bucksaws - I bought a 30" before xmas. It came as promised but on the instruction sheet written in pen was "This is the last 30" I will make". That was it. No explanation, nothing. So not sure if I now have a piece of history or if you can contact the maker and see if he'll do some more with a group order.

mg

I have a feeling Paul Swanstrom doesn't sell enough of them to make it worthwhile. He's a one-man show. Funny, because they're awesome saws. He cuts all the pieces only once or twice a year and when he runs out of parts he doesn't make more for a little while. I had to wait a few months when he made my 30". Hopefully he meant that it'll just be a temporary down time and then he'll make more of the big saws.

--Dersu Uzala

www.tenkaratracks.com

Paul,

Do you use the GB Lg Splitting Axe? I found one at a local vendor. I may pick it up soon.