Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado Winter Rondy 2012

Default Re: Colorado Winter Rondy 2012

I am planning on heading up on friday. Kevin M. is planning the same. I have some new Kifaru kit to enjoy with a few more pieces in the works which I should have before then. What works the best for the bottom of your sled. I was told silicone spray, I am not questioning that as this will be my first trip with a new sled. Just wondering if anyone has tryed different products and what truely works the best. (any specific product?)

Also, does anyone have a set of Packloc sleeve they are willing to part with?

RandallH,

Looking forward to seeing you again. I don't expect you'll be bringing Koda on this one. That is, unless you let his hair grow out and knitted him a wool coat! :0)

Hey RandallH,

Look forward to hanging out again at the Rondy. What kind of sled do you have? You bringing Koda along, or might this be a bit too cold for him (being a non dog owner, I know little of their tolerances for cold)?

Good luck on the sleeves... I'm holding on tight to mine There was a thread by LabRoamer a while back inquiring about packlock sleeves and someone mentioned these as an alternative: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Sleeves.htm

The thread can be read here: http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthre...hlight=sleeves

Lab-Roamer started the thread and over the course, evidentily bought a pair. Might want to PM him for more details, but according to the thread, it didn't fit right and he returned/sold them.

Take it easy,
    MojoSlim

I heard a rumor..albeit from a reliable source there may be a limited edition packlock run coming up. Probably not in time for this winter season but if you can wait you might get lucky. No better place to confirm such a rumor than at the winter rondy. I'm hopeful this comes to fruition as I have a pair of sleeves (sorry RandallH) but no vest! Thinking one in multicam might look mighty good on me.

Quote Originally Posted by mgutman View Post
    I heard a rumor..albeit from a reliable source there may be a limited edition packlock run coming up. Probably not in time for this winter season but if you can wait you might get lucky. No better place to confirm such a rumor than at the winter rondy. I'm hopeful this comes to fruition as I have a pair of sleeves (sorry RandallH) but no vest! Thinking one in multicam might look mighty good on me.
    I'd better get the rest of my music gear sold soon to fund some packlock clothes (if rumors are substantiated)! Anyone interested in Vintage Electric guitars? Yes, a multicam parka would do nicely to augment my vest/sleeves/pants setup.
    MojoSlim

mgutman you do not want to mix the color of you sleeves with mcam. That will not lookright...so me thinks your sleeves will match my vest better...so I will pay cash for them at the rondy.
    I am on the fence with bringing Koda. He loves any and all outdoor adventures. Kevin was thinking of doing the Elmer Fudd thing on Bugs and I was thinking of doing the same; that would be hard w/ Mr. Koda. But he loves the snow, I have a hard time calling him in at home when we get fresh snow. I would bring an extra bag and pad for him to sleep with or let him snuggle w/me or both. His hair is alot longer than last summer (Hippie). I am getting some Doggles for his eyes for the U.V. protection and botties for his feet. But the last time I tried booties he wanted nothing to do with them.

I would like to bring my little buddy along and I know he would like to go.
    I got a Mil/Expedition sled so I can haul meg loads, it was my Christmas present as I was on Santa's good list this year.

Randall:

We lived in Northern MN, 10 miles from the Canuck border, for a few years. It was routinely -20F there, and the coldest day I remember was -54F. At those temps, dog booties become a necessity for any outdoor adventures. If the cold doesn't give them frostbite, the iceballs that build up give them sores between their digits. I'll never forget the first time we put them on our pooch. At first, he stood there trying to shake them off. Then, he gave up and tried to walk. At that point, all he11 broke loose, and it was the funniest thing I've ever seen. He looked like he was having a seizure while trying to walk. After a short bit, he just gave up and stood there, tail between the legs, looking at me like I had just gut-shot him. I took them off, figuring he'd had enough trauma for that session. It took quite a few "sessions" before they didn't bother him. I'm sure Koda will get used to them, but definitely don't wait until the Rondy to put them on him. He needs to get used to them, and short sessions seemed to help me break my dog into using them.

Funny side note: One day, the dog was licking himself something fierce (wife home with dog, me at work). My wife called me at work to say that something was wrong - there was puss coming out his unit - and that she was on her way to the vet. A few hours later, she calls me back laughing. I said, "Well, what's his problem?" Through the laughter, she managed to tell me that he had frostbite on his unit! I didn't want to know how that happened. The vet gave him some antibiotics and told us to put a cone on him if he continued licking. Dogs being incredible healers, he was back to normal in just a few days. That dog is long gone, but that is just one of the great stories of him that I'll remember!

Regards,
    Scott

What works the best for the bottom of your sled
    I've heard silicon spray too, but it doesn't really last, especially on ice or corn. My experience has been to just go with the sled as is. No longer than the trip will be to the rondy site it won't matter one iota. I've pulled a sled in powder, packed trails, ice, corn, you name it. I've never had much crud stick to the bottom. If you have a new sled it'll be pretty slick anyway.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com
    http://fishrigs.com/

I'm looking for a pair of size 45 three pin X-country ski boots. And no I don't have any Packloc sleeves to sell or trade....

I found both my skis and boots at a second hand store in Dillon. There is also a store in Frisco. For some reason Sawtooth always wants to meet up in front of the store in Dillon and he's always early.