Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: muzzleloader

Default Re: muzzleloader

They came out with that X7 the year AFTER I got my Omega. I would have got one of those instead of the heavier version I have. Since then, TC has dropped them from the line-up, but they still pop up from time to time used etc. I'd like to snag one but have a hard time justifying it when mine works so well.

Nice gun Nake. How's it shoot?
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities.” -Nessmuk

It took me a while to find one. i got it off gunbroker finally after trying on guns america. There are several retailers that had them on their website but all out of stock. They are kinda scarce and there are few people looking.

I have put about 4 sabots thru it from 30- 60 yds all on the mark. But not sure if that is the best way to go. I am new to muzzleloading and haven't figured out if it is sabots or power belts. I also need to keep the all copper bullet thing in consideration cause I am in a condor range and we can't use lead on anything.

Where I am in calif there is one late season either *** deer draw that I want to participate in, so I have a about a year to figure it out. It is really brushy and tough hiking because of that so I wanted the carbine muzzleloader it carries nice, real light and points well. I am using triple 7 ignition and pre forms to start and it seems to be handy enough to manage at this point. I want to slow down enough to enjoy the process of muzzleloading so hopefully it will be the right choice. Although with anything related to hunting it seems there will be a collection of gear that will start piling up ; )

I've been using Heavy Shot 'Cheap Shot' sabots for practice as a local shop had them REAL cheap on clearence as few years back. Lucky enough for me they print in the same spot as the more expensive Barnes, so making the transition from practice to hunting is as easy as shooting one Barnes to veryify zero, clean, load, go hunt...

I've not tried a bunch of different powder or pellet combinations as two 777's seem to shoot well and should provide enough oommpphh. One of these years I'm going to set down with the gun and wring it out using a few different powders. My biggest complaint is I get a big crud ring right in front of the seated charge making subsequent loadings VERY hard. I usually only get two shot's then I have to clean. I'd like to find a powder/pellet combo that does away with this and let's me get a few more bangs in.
    Last edited by Ken; 12-28-2011 at 06:20 AM.
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities.” -Nessmuk

Nake, We bought the same rig new in box in Sept this year. So far with limited load development, it is shooting the Hornady FPB bullet very well. We can't use sabots here so had to go with full size bullet. That running with CCI mag shotshell primers and BH209 has been really easy to work with. The rifle is my son's and I have to say I kind of want one now. Good luck with your shooting.

I did jb bore weld the recoil lug to the barrel as it was not tight and was held on by two torx head screws. It is rock solid now!

the BH 209 will cure the crud ring. but there is a price [$$$] to be paid. also you can try the harvester crush rib sabots to help with loading. if your allowed sabots that is. i too have found the cheap shots to work quite well on target and on game.
    my luck with the FPB bullet was not too good.

EdC,
    Ian McMurchy wrote a book a while back that has the type of rifles we can use in WA. The most modern one I've seen is a T/C that is called a NW model to meet the non 209 exposed to the weather requirements in WA. Just under $400 at Adventure Sports in Lynnwood.

That said, you should be able to get a heck of a deal on a good used Black Diamond. Any of the Knight MK85 type will work, too.

.50 cal will keep your life simple when buying consumables easily. Guys I hunt with have great success with musket caps, 2 777 pellets and a 250gr cheap shot or shock wave.

I gave my black diamond to my son-in-law and kept a .54 cal Knight LK93. Shot a .348gr copper clad Powerbelt and it surprised me in how well it performed on a mulie.

I am by no means an expert, but have made a lot of mistakes and still managed to take a couple of nice deer with it. Haven't had a shot on an elk yet.

Stainless as always is highly recommended. I like to shoot from a dirty barrel. And it is kind of quirky, but I want the breech area clean and the nipple clean. I had a no fire from leaving too much crud on the nipple after shooting some targets one day. Pulled the plunger, squeezed the trigger and still got lucky on a mulie this year.

I'll check my email for a guy on the 24hourcampfire who had a nice rifle for sale. I'd search the old for sale threads and if you see something that works and doesn't look like it sold you can find some nice rifles. Plus, no ffl required.

You will like the different seasons and fewer hunters.

Ed,let us know what you settle on,I've been thinking about getting one to
    Tim

EdC, did you find one yet? Thought I would add that there is no real ballistic advantage to anything over .50 cal when using sabots other than burning more powder. I really think that it will be hard to get anything across the counter for .54cal soon. It is already pretty limited. I do like my .54, but I have plenty of supplies and bullets and have been using the powerbelts which satisfies me in my own mind that I'm talking advantage of the wider bullet. It sure has done the job when I've done mine!
    I like the info at this website. Here is a link with a lot of good points about accuracy.
    http://dougsmessageboards.proboards....ay&thread=9192
    Like I mentioned in an earlier post, McMurchy's book because he uses a bunch of rifles that are mostly of the style we can use. Less than $6 at amazon. I grab mine from the library when I need it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Muzzlel...7693889&sr=8-4

Quote Originally Posted by Nake View Post

I just got the omega x7 24" sst barrel lam stock peep sites .50 cal
    Very nice!