Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 270 Win bullet selection.

Default 270 Win bullet selection.

Can't believe I couldn't find this with the search function. Probably pilot error.

It looks like I will be hunting in Colorado for Elk next year and am taking my .270 win. I planned on Federal Premium 150 grain partitions but don't want to rule out anything that would work better.

Unfortunately I do not load my own and am not familiar with some of the new offerings so any help would be much appreciated Here is what is on my short list.

Fed Premiums
    150 gr Partitians - seem to be the old standard
    140 gr Accubonds - Looks really good on paper
    130 gr Tripple Shot X - Do they live up to the hype?

Winchester
    Supreme Elite XP3 in either 150 or 130 gr - see TSX

Double Tap 160 gr Partition - Another that has me very interested if my rifle shoots them well

What would you def not use? Is there anything I am not thinking of....I'm sure Remmy Core-Lokts have taken a boatlead of Elk but I don't mind spending an extra 10 or 20 bucks if there is a more reliable bullet.

Thanks again

Default Re: 270 Win bullet selection.

Im a sucker for good old core loktby remington. For a flatter shooting round go for 130 gr. More umf farther out go for 150. Pick one and go for it. Real world use I dont think either will make a real difference.

no good reason for anything other than 130 partitions.....

FWIW, 130 partitions have felled about 18 elk out of my 270. Every one has worked exactly like the pictures, at least those I found. Most went through the animal.

150 partitions, I can't tell the difference. At least ay my distances, which range from about 25 yds to 519. The last ten were 242-388.

Accubonds work well, too but a very small sample size. I've had erratic 30 cal performance with TSX bullets, out of the 12 animals, one failure to penetrate, one that destroyed about a third of a pronghorn.

We've also had good luck with good old green box Core lokt. I often recommend core lokts in standard calibers particularly when the shooter is new, and won't venture past Walmart for ammo. About a dozen elk, down.

Here is the trick . Elk hunters worry too much about caliber and ammo. Hit the lungs. Hit anywhere else, and you many never see him again. Hit the lungs and they die quickly.
    Last edited by Kmassaro; 09-06-2011 at 07:01 AM.

I knew the partitions would get some votes but I am a little surprised that the Remmy's are that popular. I also figured I would get more recomendation for the heavier bullets.... I am shooting 130's now so if I don't have to change that would be great. I plan on keeping my shots to about 300 yards as I'm not comfortable with much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmassaro View Post
    Here is the trick . Elk hunters worry too much about caliber and ammo. Hit the lungs. Hit anywhere else, and you many never see him again. Hit the lungs and they die quickly.
    Nice... That looks like the truth right there. Now I can quit looking for the "magic bullet" and go shooting!

Thanks again

I would agree with all of the above and add that I have had good results with TSX's and Hornady Interlocks too. All have killed elk for me in various calibers with no problems. I have a load that my 270 loves with the Hornady 140 gr that have worked on everything I have shot with it.

No experience on Elk, but the 160 grain Accubonds do a very good job on moose in my 7mm08.

I was wondering about the accubonds, if Federals numbers are accurate it has some pretty impressive specs in 140 grain. I definitely want something that will hold together and not blow up.

Bulldog Guest

150NP's for me.. Not sure I'm ready to drop a weight in them or not.. 130's going faster might shed more weight.. Might not. Someday maybe but for now it ain't broke so it ain't gettin fixed..

Bulldog, the 130's, like the 150's, will predictably weight between 65-70% of the spec weight. At least in my sample size, which is a few dozen. Partitions are just darn reliable.