Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Black bear in a KU5200

Thread: Black bear in a KU5200

Default Black bear in a KU5200

Got a chance to use my KU5200 on a Black Bear hunt. Pack worked awesome, packed up easy for the trip out and held a 6 ft 2 in bear meat, hide and skull.

He was sure tasty and even better with some fresh caught shrimp.

Steve

Default Re: Black bear in a KU5200

Livin' the dream!!!!!

How's the KUIU gear working?
    We had to have Obama to get Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Lab-Roamer View Post
    Livin' the dream!!!!!

How's the KUIU gear working?
    Seems to be very well made, need a little more time to see how it will hold up. I got the Guide Jacket, Attack pants, Rain Jacket, Spindrift Jacket and the Beanie. I like it all but the Beanie, too much material at the top and not enough stretch.

Steve

I'll be looking forward to your review.
    We had to have Obama to get Ron Paul

STID, 2 questions.

1) Your KU 5200 looks less than full in the pic. As it is the same size as a Longhunter (?) all but the strongest among us will "weigh-out" before we "cube-out" (fill the pack) with a game load. Have you found the KU5200's size to be optimal? I've yet to pull the trigger on a KU, but I'm leaning towards the 3700 with a KU E&E mounted on the back.

2) You've posted about your jet inflatable before, that thing looks awesome. What size is that Mercury kicker? Did you buy it with the jet foot or add it? Any idea how far it'll carry two men/gear with a six gallon tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    STID, 2 questions.

1) Your KU 5200 looks less than full in the pic. As it is the same size as a Longhunter (?) all but the strongest among us will "weigh-out" before we "cube-out" (fill the pack) with a game load. Have you found the KU5200's size to be optimal? I've yet to pull the trigger on a KU, but I'm leaning towards the 3700 with a KU E&E mounted on the back.

2) You've posted about your jet inflatable before, that thing looks awesome. What size is that Mercury kicker? Did you buy it with the jet foot or add it? Any idea how far it'll carry two men/gear with a six gallon tank?
    For me the 5200 is perfect for just camp or a smaller animal pack out. For hunts like a walk-in sheep hunt, I had to add some extra capacity to hold all the meat, cape horns and camp. The pack is so light and rolls up to store in a duffel bag that for me it made sense to go with the larger pack.

The Jet Ranger is designed to use that 25hp 2 stroke jet and will carry about 750-800 lbs on step at 15 to 18 mph and will run 3 to 4 hours on 6 gallons of fuel. I bought the engine with the jet in it, however they no longer sell the 2 stroke for environmental reasons. The maker does have a 4 stroke version that is a foot longer and heavier. It works great in the tidal flats as we get 14 ft or more of tides during the full moon.

Very nice! Dinner looks spectacular. Handsome looking bear you got there.

I'm interested in the KUIU report too. Did you get any of the Merino undies? I'm looking at both weight tops and maybe a pair of bottoms. I really like my Smartwool, but the black color has me cringing every time I strip down and hunt in it. The camo KUIU would be PERFECT. The long neck zipper would be a welcome addition too in warmer weather.
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities.” -Nessmuk

The Kuiu gear is very well made. The Attack pants are so comfy that I could sleep in them, they dry very fast. Both the Attack pants and the Guide Jacket shed water very well and the pit zips lets the jacket breath while hiking. The spindrift jacket is super light and warm, makes a great layer. The Rain Jacket is light and very packable. I love the long zipper on the 250 Merino top, lets you zip it down to keep from sweating. I'm still using fleece bottoms, but may try a pair of their bottoms as well. I'm going to buy a pair of the Attack pants in grey to wear around town.

Steve

Steve,
    Congrats on another great hunt! Your making me wish I was back in Alaska again. Let me know when you fill that 5200 full of shrimp and I'm on my way.

I know you put your gear through the ringer and am always interested in your opinions. My Late Season carried great on my sheep hunt, but it was crammed full and really needed a little more space. I bought a G1 Siwash on sale after the hunt thinking that would be perfect...and I'm sure it would be, but Patrick had to go and build those crazy KU packs. What's a guy to do? Sell the brand new, unused Siwash and get a KU 3700, or man up and carry the extra weight?

Being a lower 48er, I obviously need the assistance of a guide and especially his big pack. Sooo, I'm sure the 3700 would be big enough for any guided hunt that I would do. Just for the record, after I had that tumor cut off my spinal cord, I am not supposed to carry heavy loads. Good excuse to wimp out!

I saw your pic on KUIU's website too. I fell for their deal too, but so far just the Attack pants and a ball cap cause it was cool. I agree with you on the Attack pants, definitely the most comfortable pants yet, and even though I haven't put them through the ringer, I am very impressed.

Oh yeah, looks like you got yourself a Wild West gun. I've got a 45-70 that I'm getting ready to send up to Anchorage. Mine already has the big loop lever and the extended tube and is a stainless gun. I'm thinking about having the action worked, the take down conversion and the black titanium nitride finish. Is the scout scope the way to go? And any other recommendations?

Richard
    Last edited by BowDoc; 05-24-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: About the rifle

I really like the KU packs, we gave them a work out and they preformed great.

Doc... My guide gun has had the Wild West treatment but it is not a breakdown version. I was not really hunting on this trip and love the guide gun for going into the Alders.

Few more pics.