Thread: kifaru xray

Question kifaru xray

hello every one first post on kifaru. i just placed a order earlier today for a fg xray with matching organizer, it was this or tad gear fast pack. i feel as though i made the right decision. expect deliver time is mid june 2011. does anyone on this forum know if the pack will except a 17" macbook?.....i hope i can justify spending $400 plus dollars. appreciate any feed back. thnkx

West Coast USA, staying close to home... for now.

Default Re: kifaru xray

Should be OK. I carry a 15" (in the Keen carrier for that computer) and it's about perfect. The 17" is 3/8" wider on each side and 1 1/8" taller sitting on it side.

You might need to put a folio between the computer case and the back panel to put the computer closer to the widest part of the pack (this will also protect from shocks). The mesh compartment in the lid is perfect for the power brick, the top pocket carries a Wireless Mouse and other tech junk. Hope this makes sense. Heightwise you should be good.

I have the TAD FAST Pack Litespeed and it barely takes my 15"; yours would be a NO GO.

BTW if you post this question in "Tactical" you'll probably get more eyes on it and a better answer. The credentials required to participate there are civility and an interest in the product.

Hope this helps.
    "Two to the Heart, One to the Mind"

Hey gilly7219,

I rocked an Xray and 17" macbook pro for a couple years while in college, and it got the job done, but it didn't leave room for much else in the bag, and not only that, without a waistbelt, it was pretty heavy carrying that and other stuff in there as well.

Just my .02

PL

Quote Originally Posted by gilly7219 View Post
    .....i hope i can justify spending $400 plus dollars. appreciate any feed back. thnkx
    Gilly7219, Welcome to the Kifaru MB!

Even though you will have better luck researching the X-Ray on the "Tactical" forum it would make a fine hunting/field pack as well. IMO

I've used an X-Ray pack everyday at work all year long since they have been available (not for a macbook) but for rule books, set of equipment tools/Surefire flash light inside a GPS pouch and a long sleeve under armor shirt....usually weighs between 28-32 pounds. It shows absolutely no signs of wear and will easily last many more years. It's a very well constructed and high quality pack. Hope that justifies spending the money....All my Kifaru packs were well worth the investment as far as I'm concerned.

Best of luck with your new Kifaru pack!
    Good hunting, be safe and enjoy your back-country adventures!
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    United Bowhunters of N.J. Life Member
    Trout Unlimited Life Member
    www.triggerthevote.org
    http://www.nranews.com
    http://www.ussportsmen.org
    CJRPC & ANJRPC Life Member

"If your not working to protect hunting/AMERICA, Then you are working to destroy it"

-Fred Bear

It's not a matter of quality because you will get what you paid for....top of the line quality pack. It's a matter of what pack fits your needs and what weight....tactical, hunting or ultra-light. Hope that helps!
    Good hunting, be safe and enjoy your back-country adventures!
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    United Bowhunters of N.J. Life Member
    Trout Unlimited Life Member
    www.triggerthevote.org
    http://www.nranews.com
    http://www.ussportsmen.org
    CJRPC & ANJRPC Life Member

"If your not working to protect hunting/AMERICA, Then you are working to destroy it"

-Fred Bear

Gilly that was me a few weeks ago: I needed to replace the old road-weary Eagle AIII that had been my constant companion for about 20 years and I was torn between the TAD/FP and the X-ray...The X-ray and I are still getting to know each other after only one trip, but rest assured you chose wisely. These guys first and foremost make packs. Packs are what they do. I love my Ranger hoodie (hoodies are what they do) but from now on it will live inside a Kifaru pack. Enjoy it knowing you have a piece of first class, serious kit.

"Arrieros somos y en el camino andamos. Algun dia nos encontramos."