Thread: Terrain Navigator Standard and Windows 7

Default Terrain Navigator Standard and Windows 7

I have an old copy of Terrain Navigator Standard Edition (Version 4.05, which I have been updating regularly for many years) and was unable to install it on a new computer with Windows 7, which, I am told, will soon become the standard.

The solution, as it turned out, was easy and free; the steps follow below:

Go to the MapTech/MyTopo website at
    http://maptech.mytopo.com/land/TerrainNavigator/index.cfm

Click "Downloads"

Look for "Version 8.71 is available for download for Terrain Navigator Standard Edition," and and click the highlighted "Terrain Navigator Standard Edition"

That will lead you to a long page that asks you to register, which is quick and free if you have not already done so.

Once you’re registered, you’ll arrive at a page that features: "Download Terrain Navigator 8.71 Standard Edition"

Click the highlighted "Terrain Navigator 8.71 Standard Edition" Version 8.71 will then be installed and an icon placed on your desktop. You will also have the option to download and install Google Earth, which I recommend you do, as Terrain Navigator 8.71 is capable of integrating with it.

After that, you’re in business - you need only install the disks just as if you’d purchased a new set.

I do not claim to be computer tech savvy; these were the instructions I was given by Tech Support at MapTech/MyTopo and they worked like a charm.

Dick

Default Re: Terrain Navigator Standard and Windows 7

As a reminder, this same software update works fine if you are still running Vista. I updated from Version 7 a while back. It requires registration with mytopo if you haven't previously and you have to download it from your account tab. I bought my first state set, vers 5.5 in '02 and Mytopo has been great with updates IMO.

The new Google sync feature in 8.71 is outstanding!
    Last edited by elmbow; 05-03-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    "A Patriot Must Always Be Ready To Defend His Freedom Against His Government"- Edward Abbey

Doesn't work with TN Pro however, you need to do the $107 update (with postage)

Ed T

Works fine with my Windows XP....am I that far behind these days that I'm still with XP?

Yup! Worked great with XP.

JBR:

Jim, for me it was the old story of being forced into a corner. At about the same time, we bought my daughter a laptop and received a new desktop for Christmas, and that's when I discovered that any new PC (other than an Apple) now comes with Windows 7. (Before that, I'd never even heard of Windows 7.) It's considerably different to use than XP or Vista, but I'm learning it as I go along.

Ed T:

I couldn't address the Pro version issue because I don't have it; I work with the Standard version. By the way, I hope things in Helena are well; I had a great time doing the class up there that time.

Dick

Dick,

Things are good in Helena. We should try to set someting up to get you back here.

Yeah, Windows 7 is a lot different. I am getting used to it and like it but have been really frustrated trying to get TN Pro up and running. The worst of it is I don't use any of the "Pro" features, so I might just bite the bullet and buy the standard version of TN, so I don't have to go through this again.