Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Is 357.mag enough??
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 357.mag enough??

Default Is 357.mag enough??

Hello all.

I am looking at getting a little total Ti. revolver as black bear medicine while hiking and hunting in WY & CO. My question is will a 357. mag be enough to get me out of trouble, or will it just get me in deeper doo? [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] I don't think I need my 44. mag to stop a local black bear. Also my legs would like to carry a gun lighter than my vaquero. My hopes are to get this little 24 oz. handgun with a 4" ported barrel. The other caliber I was thinking of is the 41. mag, but I think a 24 oz. gun and the 41. might be a bit much on the wrist. But is the extra recoil worth the bigger bang to the bear?

Basicly I'm looking for the lightest carry, with the best compromise caliber. (don't need hand-cannon, yet don't want to P'-off a bear)

Any suggestions or real life experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Brian!!

Default Re: Is 357.mag enough??

Brian,
    357 is plenty for a blackie. It is not a bone crushing, bear deflating round like a 416 Rigby, but it should be more than enough for your application. As always a little bit of shot placment goes a lomg ways. Had a friend take a big boar (6'-11" on square) with a 357 when he was pistol hunting bruins.

More important than this would be noise. Make a fair amount of it (if not hunting). What you are trying to avoid is startling one of these guys. Thats when the fun begins. But if the woodland creatures know you are there, most times they will try to avoid you or warn you of their presence.

Good Luck and Good Hunting
    Tyde
    Good Luck, Good Hunting, and God's Speed
    Tyde

Bryan--

What a delightful question. What IS the "best" compromise for your (our) situation? Two of your fellow correspondents here have selected the .41 Ti. Myself, and Ed. I'm a Coloradoan and Ed is a Montanan. Thankfully neither of us has yet had to smoke Smokey with our little firebreathers. And they are fierce little devils in the recoil arena. Especially with 250gr. Cor-Bon solids. Definitely not a plinking load! Regular 210gr. full power loads are tolerable, but not really pleasureable. Nevertheless, on balance, and for the task you've laid out--which is exactly the one Ed and I were looking to solve--you have two votes for the mighty-mite .41. Such revolvers really only have one purpose--the one you want it for.

Well they say carry as much gun as you can handle. A miss with a 500 Linebaugh is worse than direct fatal hit with a 22 rim fire.

But with that said 357 is not the gun I would carry I would much rather prefer one of the following:

44 Special in a Ti S&W 240 grain hard cast lead pill. or even a 240 Grain Hornady XTP @ 800-900 FPS.

44 MAG 275-300 grain hard cast WFN nose bullet loaded to 900-1100 FPS.

45 Colt S&W Mountain pistol loaded yeah you guessed it 300 grain or 310 grain WFN hard cast bullet loaded to 900-1000 FPS +

41 Mag Mountain Pistol S&W 250 grain WFN hard cast loaded over a heavy dose of H110

*******Kimber Ultra carry 45 ACP loaded with 230 grain hard cast loaded +P extra magazine shoulder rig or good forward slant strong side carry holster.This by the way would be my favorite in any bear country with the exception of a good 12 Ga with slugs or short barreled 375 H&H******** Ultra Cary Kimber Light weight lots of fire power easy to handle handgun that you hardly know you have on. Designed for close quarter combat and effective firepower.

Kimber Target Elite with a 460 Rowland barrel and comp loaded with 250 grain XTP ++P

Take a look at the Taurus Tracker Titanium in 41 mag. I think it weighs 27 oz. I agree with Patrick the 41 mag is hard to beat for what you want to do and the Titanium Tracker is a lightweight package. I recently purchased the Tracker but I have not had a chance to shoot it yet?

Patrick after rereading your reply I am wondering if your little fire breather is a Taurus Titanium Tracker?

7mm--

The case it came in says it's a 2" bbl. Ti "Shadow" model. Taurus, yes. I think it weighs 21-22oz., but can't weigh it accurately here at home. Perfect little gun for it's job.

I perked up at Rocket's Ti 44 Special, but I handload rifles, not handguns (gotta draw the line somewhere) and those Cor-Bon WFN cartridges for this tiny .41 are spot-on ready to rock. Good combo; an all-round admirable "compromise", which is what this is all about. Besides, it's even lighter. The lightest contender of 'em all, which is why I bought one when Ed reported on his a few months ago.

Patrick,
    That 41 mag with a 2" barrel must really be a handful. The Tracker I bought has a 4" barrel. I believe it weighs 27 ounces.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/Products...esc/m329pd.htm

Patrick, here is the Smith they are showing on their web site that has caught my eye. I think this will be a keeper.
    Here are the Specifications!!

Action: Single Action, Double Action
    Frame: Large
    Capacity: 6 Rounds
    Barrel Length: 4"
    Hammer: .375" Target
    Trigger: .312" Smooth Target
    Front Sight: "Light Gathering" HIVIZ® Orange Dot
    Rear Sight: Adjustable V-Notch
    Grips: Ahrends Finger Groove Wood and
    Hogue Square Butt Rubber
    Weight: 26.5 oz.
    Other Features: Lightweight, Scandium Frame for Easy Carry
    Powerful .44 Magnum® Caliber
    Perfect Back Country High Power Pack Gun
    Internal Lock

Overall Length: 9.5"
    Material: Scandium Frame, Stainless Steel Barrel, Titanium Cylinder
    Finish: Matte Black
    Suggested Retail: $900.00

7mmstw-- Yep, it's a ferocious little dude at both ends--but I CAN shoot it. I call it The Tasmanian Devil.

Posimag-- Hi there old buddy! Wow, S&W is baaaaack! God bless 'em. A 44Mag at 26 ounces? I think I may find myself knee deep in handguns (again) if this innovation keeps up!

Thing about the little .41 Shadow is you can literally put it in a pocket...and go for a cruise with the grandkids in tow while possessed of a whole lot of confidence in being able to deal with whatever might threaten the little darlin's. Know what I mean?