Thread: Large Sling Koala

Default Large Sling Koala

Patrick,

I find your Koala to be most interesting.....I'd love to see a larger version with sling strap and no belt so it could be pivoted around toward the front for access.....and a little less tactical looking.....just dreaming again.

Default Re: Large Sling Koala

Suggestions noted Vern. Thanks.

For the record, the present Koala can be shoulder slung--either with the X harness gathered up and placed on your shoulder, or with the optional official shoulder sling. Either way, just swing it around to your front and VOILA!, present your weapon. Excellent for casual but stealthy carry.

This is off-topic, but I wanted to mention that yesterday, driving to a trailhead, I discovered that the Koala, worn with the x-harness, makes an excellent road-expedient table-top for one's breakfast sandwich.

I am really getting excited to get a Koala. It is most likely gonna be my next Kifaru purchase. I do second your thoughts of a slightly larger one. Possibly big enough to place a moderate sized lap top into. Atleast a 13" and maybe a 15" laptop real snuggly.
    "Luck is just preparation meeting opportunity"

I'm afraid if I carried the Koala on a shoulder strap, some would think its a diaper bag....bad for my image at this age!

VernAK:

I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering this - what do you mean by "sling strap"? I, and I think Patrick, judging from his answer, assumed you meant a shoulder strap, but your last remark leads me to believe you meant something else.

Scott

Scott,

Google on "sling bag".....there are all sorts of em out there for everything from purses to book bags.....Its a pack with only one pack strap.

I don't like shoulder strap as on the Koala because that arm is ony partially free.....it's still partially in use to keep that strap and bag in place.

IMO, I can get along fine without belts on my lighter day packs. The belts often interfere with any other items carried on my pants belt and I like the convenience of quickly donning my light pack without stopping to hook belts and adjust etc.

If Patrick made it with both shoulder straps and a removable belt it would fit all needs......for me, I would remove one strap and use as a sling bag.....my weak hand would be able to pull the bag around toward the front and everything then would be as the Koala with access to he handgun.

I really do like Patrick's handgun layout in the Koala but the carrying capacity for other stuff could be increased.

A friend gave me a sling hunting, day pack from LL Bean and I use it a lot....its in my truck and ready to go....I leave the truck with my rifle and that pack for short hunts.

Fifty years ago, I got a Swedish Bergan Sling Bird Hunters Bag....its still in use because having only the one shoulder strap leaves my shotgun shoulder unencumbered for better shooting.

I hope that helps.....Vern

Just to expand on Vern's post a little, sling packs are really useful to wading fishermen as well not only because they free up your casting arm, but also because they allow you to access the contents of the pack without setting it down. If I lived in Vern's neck of the woods, a Koala to carry, say, a 500 S&W or 454 Casull would feel really reassuring tucked in against the small of my back.

Exactly CB!.....a back pack that can be accesed without taking it off but can carry more weight than a diaper bag shoulder strap rig.

Such a nice one.thanks for sharing.