Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Entire Mule Deer in a Siwash

Default Re: Entire Mule Deer in a Siwash

Smoke,
    Congrats on a great shot and thanks for the story. Some one's got to keep the stories coming. I am sure ' the original ' is smiling down on you.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Smokepole View Post

Bush, the .358 WSM is also called the 35 Sambar in Australia, which is a much cooler name. It's just a .325 WSM necked up to .358...
    And very popular with the deerstalkers it is, too.

I narrowly missed out on a 300 WSM Kimber Montana, which would have gone off to the local 'smith for the rechambering to 35 Sambar.
    Another reasonably popular one is the 458 Alpine. Merely a 300 WSM necked out to 458, for those who like to put large holes through their deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushcraft View Post
    BTW, what sort of powder are you contemplating using in that cartridge?
    From what I can tell, R-17 gets the best velocities, but Varget, H-4895, and R-15 work well too.
    "Neither sport nor art should be unnecessarily cluttered and complicated."

Great job, Smoke! The most difficult part of hauling out a pack full of meat seems to me to be getting the pack ON your back, waistbelt cinched down and shoulder straps secured without busting your butt. You did better than I did...the last time I DID fall! Nice rifle setup, too.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com
    http://fishrigs.com/

Plus one on the story Smoke, good job in the telling, even if the pics weren't "quite" up to TL's standards. Gives you sth to "shoot for" eh?

Also plus one on the G-1 Siwash sale, I couldn't resist either, my favoritist hunting pack.

Re-15 seems to be the ONE powder for the Whelen AI, but I don't have any, so I'm going to start with Re-17 and see what it gets me.

How does your shoulder do when putting big weights on your back? It gets mine to aching after a bit, even though the weight isn't right on the shoulder joint itself.
    "A Patriot Must Always Be Ready To Defend His Freedom Against His Government"- Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by elmbow View Post
    Re-15 seems to be the ONE powder for the Whelen AI, but I don't have any........
    Surely, you jest. Get some!!

Quote Originally Posted by elmbow View Post
    ....even if the pics weren't "quite" up to TL's standards. Gives you sth to "shoot for" eh?
    Exactly, TL's standards are something to shoot for, he set the bar high.

Just saw your question about the shoulder, no, packs don't bother the shoulder at all, guess I'm lucky with that.
    Last edited by Smokepole; 01-04-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Got to tell elmbow "get some!!"

"30 degrees instead of 8, and no wind" -- Definite improvement and pretty fair weather for up there in January, especially the no wind part!
    Great report, excellent shooting and congrats!
    ---Cleve

Thanks Cleve!

Nice work Smoke, enjoyed the read, 350+ yd. shot and only a step, great work. Getting it all into a siwash without falling down is great work as well. I once carried out a big doe in my Dana Design Bomb Pack from what I guess is the same location where you got yours, I know your pain and respect your shooting, it can be beautiful up there, glad you got to experience success and fill a freezer.
    Thanks for letting me live vicariously through your adventures!

I should say "thanks Cleve and Jon S." So, thanks Cleve and Jon S.

Venison steaks on me this May in S. Park. We can hoist one to Timberline too.