Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Entire Mule Deer in Late Season Pack - PART II

Default Re: Entire Mule Deer in Late Season Pack - PART II

Wyoelk- right...they are usually the last thing we take off the carcass and the first thing we put in the frying pan... [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities.” -Nessmuk

Timberline, great story and photos. To answer your question, I do it about the same way. I don't normally go more than 3-4 miles from the truck so most of the time even with elk I leave the bones in the quarters and make multiple trips. I should probably bone 'em out though, no need to carry the extra weight. Last year my elk (cow) was 4 miles in and all I had was a small daypack so I packed the backstraps in a meatbag, put them in the pack, threw a hind quarter over a shoulder (meat in back, bone in front) and tried to carry it back to camp (and my backpack) that way. It didn't balance very well so I took the meat bag out of the pack and tied it to the bone at the hock. The meat bag was like a counter-weight and it balanced pretty well.

I carried it two miles back to camp that way. It worked, but I don't recommend it. Loaded it on the LH, that was much better.
    "Neither sport nor art should be unnecessarily cluttered and complicated."

I can't physically carry 70+ pounds, so I make more than one trip. Otherwise, I do it pretty much the same. Hang the meat I leave behind for later trip. Leave it on the ground, and it'll be GONE. Great photos and narrative, Timberline!

Nice country, looks familiar.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com
    http://fishrigs.com/

Timberline, great job. Nice buck and great story.
    I like the way you fit your story to the pics. Your method of boning is very educational. The furthest from the vehicle that I've got anything was about one mile. Mostly an uphill grunt. Spike bull bone in. Used one of those freighter frames. Very uncomfortable. One question, what do you use for a camera rest when you photograph yourself?

Timberline,

Great story and photos. Very informative for us easterners who gut and drag. Are you wearing Cabela's Microtex in Outfitter Camo?
    "Wild country has the power to remind civilized people that out there is a different world, older and greater and deeper by far than ours, a world which surrounds and sustains the little world of men." - Edward Abbey

Excellent write up. I break down virtually everything I shoot for the carry out. I often leave the bones in deer and pigs though as the added weight is substantially smaller than an elk and the meat seems to stay cleaner in the field if the quarter comes straight off and into the game bag. Gone are the days of being close enough to drag something to the truck.

I do keep a small block and tackle in my pack which helps me keep things cleaner than doing it on the ground. Plus I find myself a lot more sore after bending over a critter for an hour taking him apart. Doing so standing up is preferable (if there are agreeable trees near by).
    --Jonathan

Can you raise an elk with block and tackle?
    Laid off - Will hunt for food.

Timberline, great story and photos, we do it the same way except we take a 3x4 piece of light canvas to lay the meat on while cooling if no trees are around. We refuse to drag or take a whole animal home even if we are close to a place where we can get a vehicle to. We can get a deer boned in about 45 minutes now.

timberline..great photos and information..i really enjoyed the detailed narrative...grear buck and excellent photos of those rams...you reverently earn your meat feller...

Congratulations first! Second those are some great pictures and write up. Thanks for sharring!
    Good shoot'n!