Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kifaru for school??? pointman zulu zxr express?

Default Kifaru for school??? pointman zulu zxr express?

I know this sounds weired....but i can get all these packs for roughly the same price...used of course

ive seen a zxr, zulu, pointman and express for all around 250.00

it just happens that i need a new bag for school!!!!!! in it will be:

laptop ( a dedicated laptop sleeve isnt necessary)
    min. 2 large textbooks
    atleast one binder
    notebook
    lunch, dinner (2 large tupperwares, various fruits , veggies etc)
    glasses, pens pencils hilighters etc (imagine 1 small kifaru pullout stuffed).
    1l nalgene bottle
    gym runningshoes
    gym clothes
    wallet
    phone

i think that covers it.

im 5'8" with a 34" waist.

looking for a pack that will handle all this, im not sure if the express will, my 3000 CI LBT 1547a barely held this down.

my question about the zulu and zxr. how small can they be cinched down? If i get one of those bags, and i dont use all the space, can the packs be cinched down small? pics?

any other advice?

Aaron

PS:

in my other question about dying packs, removing molle webbing etc, it was to make the bag "less tactical"

ive been thinking, and from amazing advice of a member, that molle webbing isnt too scary/ tac shic, but dying the pack to black would be a nice touch.

Default Re: Kifaru for school??? pointman zulu zxr express?

Quote Originally Posted by simko View Post
    ive seen a zxr, zulu, pointman and express for all around 250.00
    Go with the ZXR. You never know when one of your buddies might go down (to the nurse's office) and you have to hump his folders around for him, and it's worth having the extra room for sleeping kit in case you need to spend a night bivvying in the library.

Genuinely, the ZXR is HUGE. Don't even bother. Never seen a Zulu in person but it's huge too. Express is probably the wrong shape for what you're after (too tall and thin). Never seen a Pointman either so I dunno about that one.

There are probably much better packs out there for what you want. If you absolutely must have a Kifaru for school (really?) then the Marauder is probably your best bet, but is likely too small. Although, seriously, are you going to carry all that junk all day? Do they not have lockers at your school? Do they make you ruck-march from class to class or something?

Look at it this way: you're buying a high-end tactical pack, and then modifying (destroying?) it to make it less tactical, in an 'AO' that in no way requires a tactical pack, nor is really suited to one. Square peg, meet round hole. Just buy a cheap school bag, trash it, buy another one, trash that, and save the Kifaru (and your money!) for a role where you can and will really use it as it was designed.

EDIT: To add, I used an LF RAID Pack back in high school... there were much better packs I could have used for the job. And they weren't Kifaru ZXRs.
    Last edited by jadias; 12-15-2010 at 01:29 PM.
    I understand that you little guys start out with your Woobies and you think they're great... and they are, they're terrific. But pretty soon, a Woobie isn't enough. You're out on the street trying to score an electric blanket, or maybe a quilt. And the next thing you know, you're strung out on bedspreads, Ken. That's serious.

Quote Originally Posted by jadias View Post

1)There are probably much better packs out there for what you want. If you absolutely must have a Kifaru for school (really?)
    2)are you going to carry all that junk all day?
    3) Do they not have lockers at your school?
    4) Do they make you ruck-march from class to class or something?
    all good points jadias

my responses
    1. I really dont care if its kifaru or not, i have an EMR, its tough as hell, love it. If i got a pack, it ofcourse wont be ONLY for school, but probably as my carryon luggage, or when i go away for the weekends
    2. yes, i work part time in a research lab and am a full time undergraduate student, monday-friday im there 9-9, saturdays and sundays my hours are scattered
    3.no, with about 20 000 undergrad students, plus post grads, faculty, staff etc, i can see how it would be a pain to have decent lockers available.....some buildings do for a tune to 1, or 2 dollars per day
    4.yes.....sortof

oh and about your sleeping comment, funny, I just pull all nighters

I blew out and repaired a rucksack I had in law school school several times. I used to haul a huge pile of books back and forth because sometimes you needed all the books each night if you wanted to study at home vs. on campus. I wouldn't've bothered with a Kifaru for undergrad though. I have a zxr, zulu, pointman and express and think they would all be kind of big for undergrad use, unless you are hauling a huge pile of books around like I did in law school, then I'd probably get the Express as it's the smallest of the bunch.

Ah now see, university is quite different from 'school'! In that case I mostly retract what I was saying before - my bad! For school, a Kifaru pack is total overkill. For a full day in university it's somewhat different!

In that case, I'd probably say get the Pointman, looking at the volume of it. Panel-loader would be nice, though. But ZXR is still going to be way, way too big, and Zulu you might find too bare-bones for an EDC (I guess).

Maybe get a Pod or something and keep your gym stuff in there? Or even an E&E?

I'm an undergrad too and I quite often use a Kifaru MOLLE Express when I go to the lab, but my lab is often somewhere in the great outdoors! Round campus I use the polar opposite - a simple satchel!
    Last edited by jadias; 12-15-2010 at 01:35 PM.
    I understand that you little guys start out with your Woobies and you think they're great... and they are, they're terrific. But pretty soon, a Woobie isn't enough. You're out on the street trying to score an electric blanket, or maybe a quilt. And the next thing you know, you're strung out on bedspreads, Ken. That's serious.

aimless, the express will handle all this? i can always throw on an extra pouch..........the pod for gym stuff seems like a good idea!

I was wondering if the largerpacks ie: zxr, zulu can compress to be close to the size of a loaded express......since all 3 packs are the same price..

jadias, what are you studying? soundslike ecology/geology?

I'm an undergrad too and I carry around an X-ray. You seem to carry a lot more than I do. I usually have a laptop, few notebooks, a jacket, and lunch. I have an organizer on the inside too for all my pens, pencils, calc, and clicker. I have a mollex as well but I don't think it's well suited to school stuff, it's too difficult to get to things inside. Never seen any of the other packs, so I can't comment on them, but for me the mollex would be much too big
    "We're not that good, everybody else just sucks"

I say this is a university grad and Mollex owner who loves his pack - I don't think I'd get the Mollex for what you're using it for. It's going to be a huge pita to get some of that stuff out, even with having a top and bottom opening on the pack.

I don't own any other Kifaru packs atm (except for an E&E), but I think a Marauder with a kifaru organizer, a set of pull outs, and a couple of lock n loads for inside should be perfect for what you need. The panel opening should make for easy access to everything you're carrying with plenty of potential for interior organization, and the marauder compresses well but is still not a big pack like the ZXR.

bought a pack!

not gonna say what....... I willpost pics when i get it, and when ive modified it....already have ideas as to what I want to do.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by simko View Post
    aimless, the express will handle all this? i can always throw on an extra pouch..........the pod for gym stuff seems like a good idea!

I was wondering if the largerpacks ie: zxr, zulu can compress to be close to the size of a loaded express......since all 3 packs are the same price..

jadias, what are you studying? soundslike ecology/geology?

Not sure about fitting a laptop in an express with books, clothes etc. might be too small.

You can squish a zulu down by tightening the straps that go around it, but then everything inside gets squished together like the pork in a sausage, you'll usually have to loosen the straps to get stuff out. Not a big deal hiking when you are just stopping to eat or set up camp, but kind of a PIA if you are going in and out of the pack all day at school.