Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The beginning hunter

Default The beginning hunter

From a conversation I had with Patrick earlier this week, a beginning hunter could save a ton of money and time by just reading this message board. I define saving money by buying something once, rather than experimenting and taking three tries to get something good.

Some of the excellent items for the lower 48, and beyond:

Swiss Army Hunter, $23
    Gerber saw, $10
    Anything with a Rhino on it, and the other stuff Patrick sells (at least what I have tried)
    MSR Pocket Rocket (for my hot coffee when on stand) $40
    A short light rifle in the 270/308/30-06 class with a Leupold compact scope.
    Browning Sharpshooter sling
    Nosler partitions
    Vasque Sundowner boots (especially with Superfeet inserts)

Fellow posters, other good products for the beginners so they don't have to buy things twice?
    This message board is here to advance the art of back-country hunting, fishing, and soldiering in a spirit of good fellowship. Some of the best hunters and finest folks in the world post here. If you're new, welcome, learn, and contribute.

Default Re: The beginning hunter

Kevin, I agree. A luxury item I like to pack in to our camp is a little lantern, which uses the same fuel as the Pocket Rocket stove. The real weight is 10.5 oz in its case with piezo ignition (Mfg lists at 7.9 oz). The light really makes a difference at dinner and breakfast time. I call it a luxury item because of the weight, its not even considered on longer hikes.

I'll add a couple of my favorites:
    1: Lightweight LED headlamp (mine is a Petzl TIkka), check out http://www.campmor.com for these.
    2: Gerber exchage-a-blade folding saw. $20 at Wally Mart and has both wood and bone blade in a cordura sheath. I slide my backup Boker ceramic/titanium folding knife in here with the saw.
    3: Smartwool long underwear. expensive but worth every penny. http://www.smartwool.com
    4: Garmin Rhino. combination GPS and GMRS radio. Some people don't like the idea of putting all your eggs into one basket, I do, saves carrying another item.
    If I think of more I'll post again. Great topic!
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities.” -Nessmuk

Hi Kevin,

This is a great Idea! I hope this thread helps others....I may be able to come up with more Ideas, but I can only think of one right now.

A Silva Compass...mine is call the silva system "type 7"

Dave Roth
    Don't just do something, sit there and think.

I like the Kifaru Tipi Light. For 8 oz.(it doesn't feel that heavy) you can sit around the stove with headlamps off. Very civilized. It also works pretty well as a bicycle light. One set of batteries lasts so long, it's like a lantern that requires no fuel, very cheap. The pocket rocket type lantern mentioned in the post above weighs over twice as much with fuel to last only a few hours. Also, the design of the Tipi Light puts the light right where you need it, on the stovetop and surrounding area.

Another winner I forgot. Garmin GPS. I have the GPS 12 I bought at $150. The E-Trex is supposed to be as good. Sure helps when it's too dark to find landmarks.
    This message board is here to advance the art of back-country hunting, fishing, and soldiering in a spirit of good fellowship. Some of the best hunters and finest folks in the world post here. If you're new, welcome, learn, and contribute.

Cabela's Microtex pants and shirt - drys fairly fast (reasonable) and lasts forever.
    Manzella Balaclava - I take one whether fishing or hunting.
    Cabelas Canada boots, if you can't wear a hiking boot.
    Ultra max wool and their coolmax or REI wool socks - like them both.

Here's one that never leaves my side "possibles pouch" by Patrick Smith(there's an essay around here somewhere) This little pouch has saved my bacon more than once.

A lot of the essentials that you guys have been talking about are available at http://www.GearedForNature.com.
    Headlamps from Black Diamond,
    Rino GPS radios, extra TOPO maps. Our prices even beat Wal-mart a lot of times. Take a look and let us know what you think. We really try to carry the most useful stuff for Hunters, Backpackers, So let us know if you would like something we don't have...

Manzella Thermastat Gloves...available from Kifaru.

They wear like Iron and you get great finger control.
    You can do almost all of your daily activities without having to take them off. They also work great as a glove liner if you are in real cold weather. I wear them even when its warmer in the 40's and 50's for the control I get, plus it keeps body oils off of my weapon. Can't live without them now.

Dave
    Don't just do something, sit there and think.