Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I clean this? (Skull Cap)

Default How do I clean this? (Skull Cap)

As I shared in my earlier story of a road kill find...this is it's antlers and skull cap. can anyone tell me the best way to clean the remaining matter off the skull cap & is it needed to prepare it in anyway so I can hang the antlers indoor over the entrance to my kids bathroom

Name:  DSC00004.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  25.2 KBName:  DSC00003.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  32.8 KB
    Peace

Rick

Default Re: How do I clean this? (Skull Cap)

I've hung them outdoors and let the birds do the work. You can scrape off as much of the stuff yourself, then soak it a little in a mix of boric acid and water. Don't soak it too much so it gets mushy. Let it dry and spray or douse it with polyurethane. That's my cheap method (works for me). Check out the Internet or others here for possibly a better way?
    Nice rack! I take leather and cover the cap. Tack it to a nice piece of wood and you got it.
    William Clunie ~
    Some men go to church on Sundays and wish they were fishing ... I go fishing and talk to God.
    Anonymous

Thanks, my thoughts were the same on hanging it outside but someone told me that mice or squirrels would not eat the skin and flesh but WOULD eat the antlers themselves???
    Peace

Rick

I have buried coyote skulls before, dig then up in a month or so and they came out pretty darn clean.

Brent

Skin it and boil it or get some dermestid (sp?) beetles. Beetles can be gotten on the internet.

I just did a deer. Scraped it then hung the skull cap in boiling water for a while and scraped again and dried it. Seemed to work okay.

Skin it and remove any brain tissue (because of the fats). Boil several times with some Dawn detergent. Each time remove any additional tissue that comes lose. You could also whiten the skull cap with chalk/peroxide, but since it isn't the full head, I don't think I would bother.

what about skinning and cleaning it then soaking it in a muriatic acid solution?
    Peace

Rick

Over the last 2-3 years there have been some very good threads about skull preparation and European mounts. Try doing a search for these topics. That's a nice set and will be a good display for your kids. When boiling, soaking or treating be careful to keep the bony skull in the solution but the antlers out of it as much as you can. Antler material is a lot more porous than the bone of the skull and can be discolored or damaged. If you are going to cover the skull it needs to be clean but doesn't have to be pretty. Table salt will draw moisture from tissue making it easier to scrape clean.

You can buy wooden shields of various sizes in many craft stores and some good hardware stores have ornamental screws (brass oval heads look better if the screw will be exposed. If you are going to screw the skull from the back, drill pilot holes, use fairly coarse self-threading screws and don't over-tighten just bring the screw snug or you might core out the bone.

Skin the hide off
    Get a pressure washer, use a high pressure tip, you can clean 95% of the skull up with this
    Then boil it in Dawn dish soap and scrape the remaining flesh off
    I did two whitetail skulls like this last year and it worked pretty well
    I heard soaking the skull in hyd. peroxide can also clean them up well but I haven't tried it yet
    We had to have Obama to get Ron Paul