Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you tell the difference between a wild pig/boar and just a pig?

Default How do you tell the difference between a wild pig/boar and just a pig?

I've been concerned about wild boar invading the farm. Evidently they have made it to the next county. About a month ago, saw a road kill pig on the road into the farm. Grey and black, just looked like a pig. How do you tell the difference from a regular farm pig and a wild pig/boar? I know that these feral populations have escaped pigs (or their genes) in them. If I see a pig on my dad's property I am shooting it, but is there a clear way to tell if it is some local escapee or part of the coming invasion?

Default Re: How do you tell the difference between a wild pig/boar and just a pig?

No way that I'm aware of. The older boars rub and get those "armor" plates on their shoulders, and they are a lot leaner generally from their diet. The little ones look just like farm piglets. Check your state laws. In GA, you can shoot deer on your own farm with a crop predation permit, and you can shoot feral pigs year round on private property. If you are hunting any legal species, and a non-game animal appears (circus lion, emu, ostrich, or escaped pen-raised elk) it is fair game for harvest, unless it happens to be on the endangered species list, like a Florida panther one GA guy shot last year, then you may be in a heap of trouble.

Default Re: How do you tell the difference between a wild pig/boar and just a pig?

Down here in the Smokies, many of our wild pigs are descended from Russian boar that escaped a North Carolina game preserve back in the day; and when young, the pigs have horizontal stripes. I doubt yours are similarly "wild" but hogs go feral really easily and you're right to kill as many as you can--amazing the environmental damage they can do. Given their reproductive cycle and smarts, though, I'm afraid short of getting a pair of "catch dogs" and making it a full time job, the few that you might harvest will probably be just a drop in a bucket.

A big one will be more narrow in the hams and broader across the shoulders. If you've got what folks call Russian boar the piglets may have stripes. Sounds like you have feral pigs descended from free-range livestock.

Coat usually coarser and denser than that of domestic pig; has dense undercoat in winter. Extremely variable in color: most often black, but may be brown, gray, or black and white. Tail moderately long; lightly haired; hangs straight (never coiled). Upper tusks (modified canines), usually 3–5" (7.5–12.5 cm), but up to 9" (23 cm) long, curl out and up along sides of mouth. Lower canines smaller; turn out slightly; rise outside mouth and point back toward eyes. Young have pale longitudinal stripes on body until 6 weeks of age. Ht to 3' (90 cm); L 4' 4"–6' (1.32–1.82 m); T to 12" (30 cm); Wt male 165–440 lb (75–200 kg), female 77–330 lb (35–150 kg).

Sus scrofa, otherwise known as the pig, was introduced to North America by the first European settlers. Although they have long been domesticated and are an extremely popular farm animal, free-ranging wild hogs are a different animal altogether. Their voracious appetite and destructive rooting behavior can cause severe habitat damage, especially to fields that have been planted for food production. Com*pounding the problem is the fact that the female pigs (sows) can produce 2-3 litters per year, with each litter ranging in size of 6-12 piglets.

Considering young pigs become ***ually mature at 6-8 months you can easily see the nightmarish reproductive capacity of these animals.

Besides the destructive nature of the hogs the greatest single threat comes from their potential to transmit swine brucellosis and pseudorabies to farm raised animals, both of which would have serious effects on Tennessee’s agricultural economy. Therefore, wild hogs are definitely a major threat to all Tennessee residents.

In just over a decade, the distribution of Tennessee’s wild hog population has spread at an alarming rate. Although first confined to small pockets in East Tennessee and the Cumberland Plateau, it is now estimated that viable hog populations can be found in close to a third of Tennessee’s counties. We need to stop the spread, and stop the spread now.

Feral hog season is open year-round on private lands with no bag limits whatsoever. In other words, we want you to kill as many hogs as possible to slow their spread. So please help us take aim at controlling wild hog populations.

If it was me worried about my farm, I'd consider any hog on my property to be "wild" and act accordingly. I'd start learning how to build traps right now.
    "Neither sport nor art should be unnecessarily cluttered and complicated."

Regardless of its genetic origin any pig not in a pen is trouble/bacon. They do a lot of damage around here and are a "shoot on sight" and eat later kind of critter.

Pigs of any variety are also more than a little dangerous. They are surprisingly fast, the tusks very sharp and they will eat anything that happens by - including you and your kids.

"How do you tell the difference from a regular farm pig and a wild pig/boar?"

A pig is in a pen. Anything else, especially on your property, should be fair game.

Roger

What they said. A pig running free is a wrecking crew to a farm. All bets are off.