Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poly Tech AK-47/S Help

Default Poly Tech AK-47/S Help

Hey guys, Hoping someone here may be able to help me. I came across what I think may be a good deal, but really don't know much about them.
    I found a
    Poly Tech AK-47/S
    P47-013xx serial number
    Used
    Comes with bayonet, 30 round mag, drum mag, and 1295 rounds
    It appears to be in pretty good condition, some minor wear on the wood.

Can anyone tell me anything about these, what to look for, what their approximate value is?

There are so many AK variants out there, I'm really not familiar with what to look for and what to look out for. It appears to be a pre-1990 model, but I'm not for sure. The serial numbers match on the receiver and barrel from what I can see.

I sure would appreciate any help!! Thanks!!

Default Re: Poly Tech AK-47/S Help

I'm not an AK fan, they are typically 4moa rifles, the sights suck, and they are not known for a long life (remember who designed them). If you absolutely must have a "AK", I'd recommend a VZ58. Get an AR and stock up on 69gr or 77gr for self-defense. If you absolutely must have a larger round, get a 6.8 upper from Bravo Company.

Not to beat a broke down mule but why would you throw what few $$ the Obama regime lets you keep after an AK variant? My impression is most who own them like to throw a lot of laquered rounds down range. I'll suggest you pass on the black plastic gizmo mentioned above and buy a Marlin 94C in .38/357 caliber, good for hunting rabbits, deer, your neighbors when they come prowling, roving gangs bent on destruction, black pj's fast roping from overhead, and heck, it even gives you license to swagger and drawl like "the Duke".

There might be someone hereabouts that knows about the firearm in question but they're likely too embarrassed to admit it.
    "A Patriot Must Always Be Ready To Defend His Freedom Against His Government"- Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by elmbow View Post
    There might be someone hereabouts that knows about the firearm in question but they're likely too embarrassed to admit it.
    No embarrassment on my part. I have just been out of the AK game for a couple of years so I am not current on prices, and figured someone else might help with more up to date information. The poly's have a good rep and some considered them the best of the preban guns. I think is very debatable now if they are still the best of whats available in AKs. However, they still command a premium over a lot of other and in some cases better AKs simply because of their reputation/collectors status.

AKs are a good simple, robust, reliable rifle. In a lot of cases they are more accurate than folks like to report just as ARs are more reliable. My vector is a bit more than a 2moa gun. There was a time when a high quality AK was less than 500 and a good solid reliable one was less than 300, and a good AR was over 1k. Those days are over or at least where when I last checked. Those days for the polys where over prior to the ban and have never come down since. At that point, in my opinion, the AK made a lot more sense than an AR purely from an economic standpoint. Now they don't. I personally would recommend an AR. They are easier to shoot accurately, generally more accurate as a group, and a lot easier to put an optic on, and they weight less to boot. I have taken a class with both and prefer the AR for my uses. Some prefer the AK. It is really all about what you want to do with the rifle. These days my recommendation would be a basic model from LMT, Bravo, or Daniels Defense. Run it for awhile get some training with it and slowly add on things you think you need starting with a good optic, then sling, then light. I used to be a big proponent of the AK and bought into all the negative AR stuff. However, at a point I stopped listening to the internet and tried them for myself. Now I like them both, but prefer the AR.

Personally, I think the AR is the modern equivalent of the winchester 30/30 whether some like it or not. Heck last time I was at wholesale sports they had almost as many ARs as lever guns in calibers ranging from .223, .243, .260, .308, etc...

TAK Bravo doesn't make a 6.8 or at least didn't when I was in the market.
    Family Land Soul

I love the M-4, and have burned out a bunch of them over the years. I currently own more than a couple, and think very highly of the system. Having said that, I also have a Polytech AK, and think everyone should own their enemy's most common weapon. I can't say what a good price today is for one, but I can say that my gun, with cheap ammo, will hold 2 moa or a little better. It's an awesome gun, and I highly recommend it. Years ago, I took the first Vickers' AK class with it, and Larry told me that he thought it was one of the most underrated versions of the AK out there, as well as possibly being the best. That may or may not still be true when you compare it to a Krebs, or something like that, but the limitation is usually with the shooter, not the gun

Thanks for your responses. I understand the issues behind the AKs, but I just don't know much about the civilian models and was trying to find out about the one above. It will be basically just for my collection and occassionally throwing cheap lead down range. I couldn't bring any the ones I "recovered" in the "box" so I wanted something as close to it as I could get, without being a cheap knockoff.

Quote Originally Posted by boundout View Post
    ... without being a cheap knockoff.
    What's wrong with a cheap knock-off of a cheap, throwaway rifle? Like I said, AK's are marginal in every way to begin with. If you want something that looks like an AK, and is actually a decent rifle, get a VZ58. The character of the Checks, and the stuff they produce, is far superior to anything you'll get from Russia or red china.

Don't listen to all the AK naysayers out there! If you want it then that's more than enough reason to buy it! What are they asking for it? The Poly-tech falls into the range of a "collectable" AK. They will command a premium (to the right buyer) over other AK's. If you just want a fun plinker/toy you would be better served getting another AK variant. But if you want one for your "collection" as you alluded to it would be a great choice if the price is right. As far as a pre 90 that does sound correct. MOST of the poly-techs will fall into the "pre-ban" configuration/timeframe. They are good AK's but some of the earlier imports had some issues with barrels on the soft side. Just check it to make sure the barrel is strait. If it's not, contact a good gunsmith (who works with AK's) and ask how much to straighten it and subtract that plus some extra dough from the price. You will see the poly-techs routinely for sale for over $1300 but notice I didn't say routinely sold for over $1300. If I was in the market for this type of gun I would do around $800 for it and feel I got a darn good deal (I would go more if it was NIB). Also it never hurts to have a gun dealer look at it if you are unsure. By the By I currently have a poly-tech AK-47/SP for sale in MT.
    Rusty

"The degree of desire is measured by the intensity of pursuit."

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    and think everyone should own their enemy's most common weapon.
    My current enemy is the federal reserve, what do they use?
    Fire without movement is a waste, movement without fire is suicide.

Please excuse all grammar and punctuation mistakes. I'm posting from my phone.

Politicians are the fed's most common weapon. Now that you mention it, I'd like to own a couple of those myself
    We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa