Thread: 270 WSM reduced loads

Default 270 WSM reduced loads

Anyone tried to develop reduced loads for the 270 WSM? I'm interested in a "power level" scheme whereby one could get, perhaps, a small game load, a .270 Redding load, a .270 Winchester load and of course a full-on magnum load.

I've read accounts that go both ways as to whether it works, but no detailed account of results.

Default Re: 270 WSM reduced loads

I'm using 20 grains of 4198 over a magnum LR primer with 140 grain Gamekings for 1650~ fps. I have no windage deviation from my big game loads and it prints about 2" lower at 100 yards. I have a ranging reticle and I use the first crossbar below the cross hairs for aiming and it works pretty well, although repeatable accurate hits on small targets at varying ranges simply requires adequate practice. . I haven't used it yet on small game but I'm pretty sure at those velocities, the Gameking will give me a tiny bit of upset on grouse or rockchuck sized targets. Zippo case expansion, reload 'em forever.
    "A Patriot Must Always Be Ready To Defend His Freedom Against His Government"- Edward Abbey