Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me build my own ultralight rifle

Default Help me build my own ultralight rifle

Alright I am getting serious about trying to get an ultralight rifle built as soon as I can get the money. I am hoping this will be an on going thread throughout my process of acquiring parts and getting it all put together. Some of my parameters are nailed down solid and some arent. That is where ya'll come in. I have come to value the opinions of the members of this board and definitely take head to any advice. Here is what I am thinking so far...

-Remington 600 or Model 7 (more on this decision later)
    -Thinking .308 or 7mm-08 (I know splitting hairs between the two will be hard but they are just too classic for ultralight rifles)
    -Talley rings obviously
    -Leupy Optics (ultralight vxII or 2.5-8 vxIII. Still a while before that is an issue so no rush here)
    -Thinking right around 6lbs all up maybe 6.25lbs for a little more steadiness
    -Bansner stock
    -24" fluted barrel to have all of the velocity and forward balance (fluted instead of just light contour for the added stiffness, lightest contour that can still be fluted)

As far as the action. once again splitting hairs but I want to have this rifle become a family heirloom type thing so it needs to be right. 600 is just so classic with the dog leg bolt and is a great starting point for a lightweight. the 7 weighs 3 ounces more to start with but seems like a much more inherently more accurate design. 7 has more after market parts to lighten the load (bolt shrouds, etc).

questions are...
    Which action do you like more?
    What am I over looking?
    Any suggestions?

Like i said this will be an on going thread and i hope it can turn into the classic how to put together the perfect rifle for you thread eventually.
    "Luck is just preparation meeting opportunity"

Default Re: Help me build my own ultralight rifle

Longer barrel adds oz. Consider 20 inches instead of 24. The short action carbine will have enough FPS, and work better in the dark timber. You can get by with a #1 contour 20" barrel. My 270 has one, and it shoots lights out.

Also consider a great trigger. One of the secrets to shooting ultralight rifles is having a light, crisp trigger.

I don't like the UL scopes. Not bright enough for me. The 2.5x8 Leupold is hard to beat, IMO.

All of the above are personal preference. You're sitting between good choice A and good choice B. If you do this in steps, it is not that expensive, at least not at one time.

I like your thinking and initial plan. Nothing wrong with any of your ideas or components.

I’d lean toward 7-08 myself, mostly because it’s so sweet to shoot, flat and deadly. Quite possibly the best of that family of cartridges, IMHO.

I also like the M600 over the M7 because of the classic nature of M600. Nothing cooler than a classic Model 600 action and bolt. Wonderfully accurate as well.

My choice would be a 22-inch barrel. Just right.

A Bansner stock is a great choice – light, tough, stiff and priced so as not to gut your wallet.

To be honest, I’m not enamored by Leupold’s Ultralight scopes. Yes, they’re wonderfully compact and lightweight, but the optics (field of view, eye relief and brightness) just don’t compare in my eyes with the various VX-III models. Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 is what’s on all of my light rifles.

Keep us posted on your project. Fascinating.
    Last edited by Timberline; 10-18-2010 at 06:45 PM.
    "Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."

Regurgitating here but I too do not like Leupy ultralights/compacts, Bansner's are the bomb, and model 600 is equally if not more accurate than model 7. and doesn't need an aftermarket trigger. I'm a 1.75-6 fan in a short action caliber, but the 2.5-8 is great also. I'd split the difference between 20" and 24" and do a 22" bbl if you want a little extra velocity, but personally like the 20" tube in these two calibers.
    "A Patriot Must Always Be Ready To Defend His Freedom Against His Government"- Edward Abbey

I just read an article on the special powder loading in Ruger's new short .30 which works well in a very short barrel.

kutenay Guest

I was inspired to build such a rifle, by a thread here some months back and began collecting the parts I decided to use. I found a Remmy 600 Mohawk barreled action in .243W and bought it for a decent price, pulled the stubby tube, dumped the Remmy trigger and safety and bought a Timney trigger made specifically for the neat little 600. I have wanted a 600 since they were introduced when I was young and had just started hunting, but, just never seemed to get one.

I queried the good people on AR and found an "as new" Remmy Mtn. Rifle stainless takeoff tube in 7-08 and got that...I was really pleased to find this as I love the contour, weight and 22" length for this type of rifle. I am going to buy a Lone Wolf Carbon fiber stock for the Mod. 7 and have a guy who has/is doing some very fine work for me put it all together. I will probably get a Gentry 3-pos. safety as all of my rifles have this type installed, some Wisners, some Lapours, some Dakotas and a couple of Satterlees....I like my controls to be the same from my 6.5s and 7s to my .375s and .458.

I have some Talley rings, quite a few of them and will get a Talley base and might do a front sight-rear peep as I like this on hunting rifles. I might have it Cerakoted by Alberta Tactical Rifles and expect it to be about 6 lbs, scoped with a Leupy 4x with a custom HD installed. This is to be my "geezer gun" and will be for solo deer hunts where the brush demands carrying your rifle in your hands all day long. For backpacks, I still prefer my crf .338WM or 9.3x62 rifles and seldom will carry a lesser rifle in the conditions we now have here.

I have some pretty light P-64 Fwts, both factory and custom in MIcky Edge and Brown Kevlar handles and an HVA in the Brown, too, but, while these are "light", they cannot get down to the little 600 assembled as above. I expect it to take maybe two more years as I have several other rifle projects underway and have to save and scrimp to pay for all of this. Still, the 600 is THE action to use, IMO and with a little work, it becomes a superb UL rifle.

Kute,

Not to hijack, but how about some pics of the lightweight M70's you mentioned? Might be inspirational for this thread, plus, I'm trying to build one myself:-) Maybe with some specs as well?

Wow this thread took off in a hurry. Thanks for all the advice thus far and please keep it coming.

I can agree with you all on the 22". I read before that the average sporter barrel carries a half ounce per inch at the muzzle. Thinking even a 24" is only 2 oz over a 20" and the weight forward definitely helps. 22" will prob be the best of both worlds.

As far as the ultralight vs vx3 convo. I have not had the pleasure (or displeasure) of looking through the ultralight. I figured that my younger eyes might be able to handle it for a while then I could upgrade possibly but like i said earlier I might as well do it right the first time.
    "Luck is just preparation meeting opportunity"

My Kimber 84 has an ul 3-9 on it. My wife's has a vx3 2.5-8. The vx3 is a different class of glass, but the UL serves a purpose, and my 35 year old eyes have never found it lacking. I would go vx3 at this point, but if you are really looking to save weight, the ul is certainly an option. I don't regret it. I have a spare ul I'd sell you at a good price if you decide to go that way.

I believe at one time the 600/660 action was highly prized by bench rest shooters FWIW. I want to restock my 600 as funds allow at some point. Take care Robbie