Thread: BP sights

Default BP sights

I drew a ML tag for Pronghorn. As my scoped T/C encore isn't legal for a ML hunt in Idaho, a buddy loaned my his Knight which is legal.

I tried it out yesterday and I guess my eyes don't work anymore for buck horn sights. I adjusted the sights and couldn't get consistant shots. My big problem is with glasses I see the sight, not the target. Without glasses I see the target but the sight is not clear. I want to install something better, but it needs to be some sort of non-scope style sight.

I was thinking of a peep sight but I see there are some other things on the market. Any suggestions?

Default Re: BP sights

I'm happy with the XS ghost rings on my muzzleloader, the ring is a tad coarse for anything past a hundred but you can order an apeture from XS that has internal threads. Then screw in whatever sized Lyman peep you desire, remove it and you have a low light sight again.

Last year, I found a Tru-Glo ghost ring system that solved similar open-sight problems for me. The rear is something coarser than a peep aperture, but not as big as a typical ghost ring, & the front is a target-style globe sight. Both elements have passive fiber-optic references that are easily visible in the very dimmest of shooting light. I think OpticsPlanet.com still carries this model for about $50,

I went to the range yesterday with a Williams FP site I just mounted on my TC triumph. Install was very easy and best accuracy I have had since I bought the rifle 4 years ago. Sighted in at 50 with rounds touching but ran out of time for 100 yards. Next range trip. I have XS ghost rings on my marlin 336 so I think the peep/ghost ring deal is your own prefrence as to appeture size but any peep/ring will be superior to open sites.

I ended up getting the Williams Peep. So far it is better than the others but I still have work to do. Now I can get them on the paper I just need to work at making the group tighter.

Jim, did you get the FP? The way mine mounted on the triumph I picked up about 8 additional inches of focal length in addition to having a click adjustment. I fired one fouling shot then went to work. Had the elevation I wanted pretty quickly. When I shoot both the peep and the ghost rings I just focus on the top of the front site and give er a squeeze.

That is the one i got. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going out with it again today. I have it on paper but not happy with the groups yet.

The sights worked. I got one at 130 yards (much farther than I intended to shoot). Last year I saw over 100 pronghorns in this area during archery season by sitting in one spot. This year had to walk miles to see 6 so I shot the best one I found. Nice hunt and my first BP kill.

Congratulations Jim. I'd say any muzzleloader pronghorn was a trophy.