Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Crazy Idea for a Pack Rug/Holster?!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,819

    Default Re: Crazy Idea for a Pack Rug/Holster?!

    Quote Originally Posted by duckear View Post
    I would use a Bianchi flap holster (either revolver or auto model, depending upon which handgun).

    I don't see the need, personally, to protect it from dust while IN your pack although in ziplock bag if you insist on dustproof.

    Also, if in a flap holster, I dont see what it can hurt or be hurt by what is in your pack.
    Interesting idea. Thanks,

    Part of my problem is that my favorite pistol for this sort of rambling/backpacking is a Browning Buck Mark Lite with 7.25-inch sleeved barrel. Just not a lot of holsters for this particular handgun.

    http://www.browning.com/products/cat...-7.25-firearms

    I am wide open to holster suggestions!!!
    Last edited by Timberline; 06-19-2010 at 05:57 PM.
    "Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    utah, usa
    Posts
    5,589

    Default Re: Crazy Idea for a Pack Rug/Holster?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Timberline View Post
    Interesting idea. Thanks,

    Part of my problem is that my favorite pistol for this sort of rambling/backpacking is a Browning Buck Mark Lite with 7.25-inch sleeved barrel. Just not a lot of holsters for this particular handgun.

    http://www.browning.com/products/cat...-7.25-firearms

    I am wide open to holster suggestions!!!
    That is a sweet gun, I saw the new gray 7 1/2" in the LGS the other day and almost bought it and I own a Buckmark Lite in the 5 1/2" version. I customized a G.I. M-12 holster by un-stitching it at the bottom. It's a PERFECT fit for the 5 1/2" Buckmark. Not sure on that 7 1/2" one though.
    "A Patriot Must Always Be Ready To Defend His Freedom Against His Government"- Edward Abbey

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kathleen GA
    Posts
    2,718

    Default Re: Crazy Idea for a Pack Rug/Holster?!

    Quote Originally Posted by elmbow View Post
    That is a sweet gun, I saw the new gray 7 1/2" in the LGS the other day and almost bought it and I own a Buckmark Lite in the 5 1/2" version. I customized a G.I. M-12 holster by un-stitching it at the bottom. It's a PERFECT fit for the 5 1/2" Buckmark. Not sure on that 7 1/2" one though.
    Timberline, put a Paclite barrel on that Buckmark, you won't regret it. It'll loose a bunch of weight and you can get a shorter barrel.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,819

    Default Re: Crazy Idea for a Pack Rug/Holster?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Timberline, put a Paclite barrel on that Buckmark, you won't regret it. It'll loose a bunch of weight and you can get a shorter barrel.
    This model already has a Packlite-type barrel standard from Browning. And I don't want a shorter barrel. This is the most accurate .22 pistol I've ever shot!
    Last edited by Timberline; 06-19-2010 at 06:41 PM.
    "Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    3,933

    Default Re: Crazy Idea for a Pack Rug/Holster?!

    This doesn't help with packing it, but since you made me go to the Browning site, I was most intrigued with some of their newer offerings. I've got the Standard (you have to go to the very end to see that one!) and have long wished to lighten it up with a Pac-Lite barrel. The Browning sleeved versions do an admirable job of cutting weight (8 ounces less than the Standard with the 5.5" bbl.), but I noticed this one that was even lighter and a bit retro. 25 ounces makes a pretty nifty packing piece. Nice match for a guy toting a Trapper.

    http://www.browning.com/products/cat...lenge-firearms

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    449

    Default Re: Crazy Idea for a Pack Rug/Holster?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Timberline View Post
    I

    Part of my problem is that my favorite pistol for this sort of rambling/backpacking is a Browning Buck Mark Lite with 7.25-inch sleeved barrel. Just not a lot of holsters for this particular handgun.

    [
    That is a tough one to holster!

    But I just solved your problem, I think

    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...&Number=960144

    and

    http://www.scribd.com/doc/26421517/F...stom-Made-Gear



    Steve's email is Battlecloth@comcast.net

    He used to offer stuff for sale on AR15.com and had a good rep there for quality work.

    i contacted him a few years ago for a custom soft case for my M-6, but I never followed through because I had a few other projects in the works and never got back to the case. His quote was very reasonable for a one off pack custom made to my firearm with the exact features I wanted.

    Tell him what you exactly what you want and get your checkbook out.
    Last edited by duckear; 06-19-2010 at 09:18 PM.
    Hunting. Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    North Coast
    Posts
    213

    Default Re: Crazy Idea for a Pack Rug/Holster?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Timberline View Post
    evanhill,

    And am I the only one who sees the need for such a recreational, pack rug/holster? Anyone else want one?
    I would be very interested in one for automatics.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    utah, usa
    Posts
    5,589

    Default Re: Crazy Idea for a Pack Rug/Holster?!

    Yup, Browning has nailed it with their alloy sleeved barrels. Move over Paclite, no more buying $400-$500 pistols and then spending another $300 for an aftermarket barrel. Competition is a wonderful thing. Try the black box Aguila match pistol in that Buckmark Timberline.
    "A Patriot Must Always Be Ready To Defend His Freedom Against His Government"- Edward Abbey

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    3,933

    Default Re: Crazy Idea for a Pack Rug/Holster?!

    $400 to $500 seems like an awful lot for a standard Buckmark. I know they've gone up but they used to run south of $300. Still more when adding an aftermarket barrel than the factory version, but don't make me feel too bad about having to spend the money to Paclite mine.

    By the way, does anyone know if the weights for the Browning Lite versions are equivalent to going the Pac-Lite way or is there a swing one way or another?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    utah, usa
    Posts
    5,589

    Default Re: Crazy Idea for a Pack Rug/Holster?!

    Quote Originally Posted by CCH View Post
    $400 to $500 seems like an awful lot for a standard Buckmark. I know they've gone up but they used to run south of $300. Still more when adding an aftermarket barrel than the factory version, but don't make me feel too bad about having to spend the money to Paclite mine.

    By the way, does anyone know if the weights for the Browning Lite versions are equivalent to going the Pac-Lite way or is there a swing one way or another?
    Pretty sure the standard versions are still down around $275 and they go up from there. I can't imagine how the Paclite conversions could be any lighter, same materials, same contours, etc. Starting from scratch, the Browning Lites make economic sense, if converting a steel barreled one, then Paclite is maybe the way to go.
    "A Patriot Must Always Be Ready To Defend His Freedom Against His Government"- Edward Abbey

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •