Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Name that Shelter!

Default Re: Name that Shelter!

Not that Kevin isn't a handsome devil, but here's a pic of me with the new design. To give you some perspective I'm 6' tall and that's a medium stove on the ground.

1. Kenosha Tipi (it was debuted at the Spring Rondy just south of Kenosha Pass)
    2. Shawnee Tipi (a peak near the Rondy site where it was introduced)
    3. Rhino Horn or Rhino (because it looks like a Rhino's horn)
    4. Man Cave (my wife's idea)
    Last edited by gonehuntn; 05-25-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Smile Skalenotipi

looks like my paratipi on steroids
    as the family is soon getting bigger i was thinking of adding a tipi to my paratarp + paratipi collection, this looks like interesting.

Megaparatipi ?

Or Skalenotipi ????

Greek skalenos originally meant "stirred up, hoed up." -> "triangle scalene"
    ok id better go outdoor more than remember old maths lesson

Perhaps I should provide a bit of background on the development of this latest Kifaru tipi.

My design intent was to provide myself with a bullet-proof solo shelter for my solo ramblings that I could enter and leave without having to crawl, and at very light weight. As an elder-of-the-tribe rambling man I intend to STAND when I enter my tipi, and I am going to STAND when I put on my duds--indeed, I am going to stand up and stretch...move around...whenever I want. I've been carrying a 6 man tipi a couple of years since I made this resolution. Well, the advent of this new shelter puts the 6 man back on the shelf. I've saved about two pounds by creating the shelter you see an image of here. Last time I weighed it the tab was 4lbs. 3oz. That's light enough I'll happily tote it anywhere. It stands seven feet tall (yes, taller than the 4 man). Due to it's sloping shape to the rear the headroom is optimized--the 6' 5" testers who've been in it can stand straight up. At 5'11" I can even move around a foot or so. It's very spacious. It is plenty big enough for two men and full rambling gear...including winter equipage. And plentiful firewood. And backpackable camp chairs.

The results of that resolution to build myself a stand-up shelter are everything I wanted. I am tickled to death by this core-to-my-rambles tipi. Nobody here at the Shop has hit on a name yet--we've been calling it everything from MegaTarp to "that stand-up two man". (Oh, I should say that I think it'll sleep three comfortably!). The guys at the Colorado Rendezvous started the Name Game ball rolling. Maggie has put the question before all of us Board Members. Good. Let's see what turns up, and have some fun with it. Start "voting" on the "best" name whenever you like.

We should be able to start shipping them within 8 weeks. We'll try to have prices and all particulars on the website in few days. And, I hope, a NAME by then. So get with it guys--let's get a moniker for this puppy so we can fill in the order and build blanks.

Goat Locker

Perfectipi

ConeTipi, with apologies to Thor Heyerdahl (sp?)

OMG I WANT ONE!!!

Stealth hanger (it does look like you could park a 117 in there)
    FOB
    honeymoon suite
    perfection
    home away from home

Oh that's just great. Just when I thought I had the ultimate combo of K tipis/tarps this thing comes along. Wonderful. How am I going to splain this to the little woman?

Wayfarer Liar
    Bitt

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlustr View Post
    Oh that's just great. Just when I thought I had the ultimate combo of K tipis/tarps this thing comes along. Wonderful. How am I going to splain this to the little woman?

Wayfarer Liar
    yes looks like troubles ahead for a lot of people

Quote Originally Posted by rambler_wannabe View Post
    OMG I WANT ONE!!!
    Agreed. It sounds ideal, given my tendency to try and buy stuff I'll be completely happy with. I'd rather go with best compromise for as many situations as possible than have to buy special purpose gear for every situation.

How much is one of these and a medium stove going to set me back?