Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kifaru Colorado Rendezvous Survey Question?

Question Kifaru Colorado Rendezvous Survey Question?

Since were all here and attentive, let me throw out a survey question of sorts for those who have attended one or more Kifaru Colorado Rendezvous events.

Do you think we should consider trying a new location for next year's Kifaru Colorado Rendezvous?

Obviously pluses for the same time-tested Rendezvous site included convenient location to the Front Range, its population and its airport, a nice flat camping area and a reasonably safe rifle range area out to 600 yards. Minuses include little or no shade, little or no protection from the wind, some concern over long-shot range safety and the fact that its the same old place every year.

So, given all that, would you vote for trying a NEW place or sticking with the same OLD place?

Feel free to add your comments and concerns? And yes, finding another location as suitable to access, camping and shooting may not be easy. But on the other hand, someone may know of just the place.

-----------------------------
    FIRST VOTE:
    I, for just one, would simply love to see all those Kifaru tipis set up some place NEW, preferably with more shade, more shelter and I would even accept half the rifle range (maybe just to 300 yards). Most of all, I think it would just be nice to see and experience some place new.

What do you think?

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."

Default Re: Kifaru Colorado Rendezvous Survey Question?

Patrick brought this up at the Rondy on Sunday morning, and I'm sure he'll chime in here too. We walked quite a bit and drove to another area as well, and I think Patrick has some definite alternate plans. Some of the criteria he/we used (Kevin, H22...the unofficial rangemaster, and I were in on this as well) were the same as yours, i.e., wind protection, trees near camp, scenic views, suitable shooting range out to 600+ yards, RANGE SAFETY, etc. A couple of different locations surfaced, I think.

My short answer...YES, a change in location is due.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com
    http://fishrigs.com/

Well, as someone who would either be driving from the west or flying in anyway, I'd say pick something on the west slope or southern CO. I've spent many good times within miles of the current Rondy spot, but it's not as nice as other areas of CO. On the other hand, sticking close to the front range is probably the best bet for most folks' travel plans.
    We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

There are some pretty places along the foothills of Colorado, off the beaten path ofcourse. I vote yes.
    The woods are calling and I must go

yup. 600 yards is a highlight though.
    "Neither sport nor art should be unnecessarily cluttered and complicated."

I definitely like the current spot but a change of pace wouldn't hurt either. One other perk i would like to point out about the current spot which i would enjoy at a new spot is some fishing. Taryall res. has treated me well at past rendezvous and it would be nice to be able to have some fresh trout at a new spot as well.

One idea might be to have our normal rendezvous as well as a back country one similar to the NW Rondy. I mean, after all this is a company founded around getting way back in there.
    "Luck is just preparation meeting opportunity"

Quote Originally Posted by Smokepole View Post
    yup. 600 yards is a highlight though.
    As I mentioned before, Patrick, H22, Kevin, and I explored some other adjacent Rondy sites. We did find one nearby that offered interesting rock formations, a suitable camping location, wind protection from evergreen trees, and 1,000 yards of shooting range. It's not far at all from the current site, and a very good alternative.

A backcountry Colorado Rondy is an interesting idea. I would not want to replace the current one with it, but doing a backpack Rondy during the summer would be fantastic, and there are lots of options available. We've had a winter Colorado Rondy with a few hardy souls in attendance. Perhaps a summer backcountry Rocky Mountain High Rondy would attract the fair weather crowd!
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com
    http://fishrigs.com/

I'm good with either option. I would like a place with a little closer fishing, but I can do that the rest of the year so not a huge deal.

I would be up for a backpacking Rondy as well.

GDW

Sawtooth,

I like your recommendation. I'm in.

dMb

I would like to see a backpacking Rondy as well. say around 8,000 to 13,000 feet with a little fishing on the side